The Watch Site banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
2,237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't really 'do' modern watches, much preferring vintage offerings. But I decided that it was about time that I had an SKX in the collection. A long time WIS favourite. Not hugely expensive, but not bargain basement either, however I was not expecting any problems. Little did I know!

I was aware of the SRP chapter ring alignment problems, but didn't realise that they extended to the SKX too. If I'd done my research beforehand then I'd likely have been forewarned.

This is the degree of the problem with the watch that duly arrived :(

Far too much hassle to ship it back to Creation, so only one thing for it unfortunately. Strip down, re-align and secure properly.

There was approx. 1mm of free play at the peg/slot locator :( allowing the chapter ring to slide all over the place. Apparently, also, the crystal should sit against the chapter ring and hold it in place, but there was clearance there too. I think that's a pretty poor show from Seiko tbh.

Anyhow, using the temporarily reinstalled movement for reference I was able to line things up properly from the dial side and I just used a couple of tiny dabs of RTV silicon underneath the chapter ring to secure it in place independent of whether the crystal does or not - one can only press the crystal in so hard before wondering when that cracking sound is going to occur!

Having done that and rebuilt the case I then had to re-align the bezel insert as it was now slightly off. And onto the next problem. I'm only used to working on 7548s and 7As, and the inserts on those are a 'snap fit'. Not so the SKX, it's glued in. It prised off easily......leaving the lume pip still glued to the bezel........arrgghh!

Oh well, a bit of fiddling and it's all done and dusted. Now on my wrist and I sense it's going to be getting a bit of a beating (revenge!)

The SKX is a great looking watch and no doubt it will be tough enough to outlive me, but I guess they just don't make 'em like they used to and I think I'll be sticking to vintage in future - with those I can tolerate problems and it's almost part of the fun sorting them out. With a new watch I just expect to be able to bolt it on and enjoy it straight away.

Ramble over :)

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
Blimey, yep that was a bad one.

I’ve always said it’s a really poor show from Seiko, there’s no need for it in today’s world. Mind you, even saying that the old models were never as bad as the SKX!

·
Special Member
5,456 Posts
I'm not so much a fan of newer Seikos, the quality of craftsmanship has declined since the 90's. I know they are in the business of making money and all, and they have definitely been capitalizing on the Seiko popularity, but the prices vs the craftsmanship of most of the 'newer' watches the past few decades just doesn't equal out in my opinion. It's small issues like this example here too, not hard to overcome but should have been addressed at pre-production.

·
2,237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That's about as bad as I've seen but you should've just sent it to Seiko UK in Maidenhead, international warranty y'see.
I never even thought of doing that tbh :undecided:. But Creation didn't issue the International Warranty card, the book had their own stamp in the back as they seem to expect you to return (some) stuff directly to them. I dare say Maidenhead would still have accepted it for repair but hey ho. I've bought from Creation a few times in the past, but I'm wondering if things have changed for the worse with them.

It's not an issue with the chapter ring peg, it's the case slot machining that's incorrect.......I didn't realise that CNC machines had a 'slapdash' setting :eek:

All they probably could have redone was re-cased it or perhaps have given me a new watch, but what's to say that any replacement wouldn't have the same quality issue :(

Anyhow, I've fixed it to my satisfaction. The chapter ring isn't budging now :)

·
Registered
5,973 Posts
I might be wrong but my understanding is Creation is a Gray market seller and Seiko will not honour an international guarantee if the watch is not sold by an AD. Creations Guarantee cards always looked suspect to me.

I have bought quite a lot of watches from Creation (and I mean lots) and have never had any problems or reason to return a watch to them but I have heard of issues doing so.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Funny you should mention both Creation and teh SKX007.

I bought mine perhaps 5 mopnths ago? and with having several other Seikos I've probably worn it a dozen times.

Wore it the other day and saw that it had stopped.

Wound it up with a good dose of the old Seiko shuffle and left it. Came back to see it had stopepd after less than a minute.

Repeated the exercise last night - same result.

Never been dropped, subject to impact etc.

To say I'm unhappy would be an understatement.

I've sent them a message via ebay - will see what happens.

(They had a really good trunaround when I bought this one so I bought another watch from them since. That better keep working...)

·
Registered
48 Posts
I recently got a SKX011J from creation and it has some chapter ring misalignment as well which I am willing to live with. For mine, they had a stamped warranty card in the back of the book, but without the serial number and case filled out, just the date. Is that what happened with yours? or there was no warranty card entirely?

Also what is RTV Silicone? In the event I decide to try and fix my chapter ring issue as well. Thank you.

·
2,237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I recently got a SKX011J from creation and it has some chapter ring misalignment as well which I am willing to live with. For mine, they had a stamped warranty card in the back of the book, but without the serial number and case filled out, just the date. Is that what happened with yours? or there was no warranty card entirely?

Also what is RTV Silicone? In the event I decide to try and fix my chapter ring issue as well. Thank you.
There was no proper warranty card at all with mine. Just a Creation 'stamp' inside the back cover of the manual. It was not what I expected, but I'll have to let it slide.

Room Temperature Vulcanising Silicone sealant. Strong enough to hold the ring in place, but easily 'broken' and cleaned away if the watch should ever need stripping again for some reason. Only needed the tiniest of dabs :)

·
Registered
48 Posts
There was no proper warranty card at all with mine. Just a Creation 'stamp' inside the back cover of the manual. It was not what I expected, but I'll have to let it slide.

Room Temperature Vulcanising Silicone sealant. Strong enough to hold the ring in place, but easily 'broken' and cleaned away if the watch should ever need stripping again for some reason. Only needed the tiniest of dabs :)

Is RTV silicone made for working with watches specifically? Like where would I get it? I saw some J.B. Weld vulcanized silicone at Home Depot.

I just received a skx009k from Japan which I bought off ebay. Unfortunately I thought I would get an international warranty but it looks like it’s JDM only and I have to get my support through the store I bought it from.
It looks like the SKX009K is better aligned though.

·
2,237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Is RTV silicone made for working with watches specifically? Like where would I get it? I saw some J.B. Weld vulcanized silicone at Home Depot.
Any type will do - decorators or bathroom sealant even. It only needs the same amount you could fit on the end of a needle - tiny!

I used some that I sealed racing gearbox casings with - total overkill :grin:

Have fun.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
I was afraid of buying on eBay and warranty issues, so i bought my srp777 from Kohls. so far so good (8 months).

1 - 15 of 15 Posts