The Watch Site banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone plz kindly help out a newbie here.

I am trying to mod my seiko.

But i am having difficulty setting the hands. It keeps on feel off when i turn with my crown ; and I can't seems to set the SECOND hand.

Can I ask what size of the plastic tip to use for setting the HOUR, MINUTE and SECOND hands?

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
Installing hands is a bit of an art form. Choosing the correct tool is as straight forward as matching the tip of the tool to the shaft diameter.
It is not the easiest thing to do to install hands no matter how many you have done. Everyone has a method they use that works for them.
If your hand are falling off you have not put enough pressure on the hand to force it to slide down the shaft. To much pressure and you can break the gears or bend smaller shafts like the small second hand shaft.
It is something that first takes having the correct size tool for each hand and then you need to develop a feel for how much pressure it takes to seat the hand on the shaft. Also you have to be mindful of how far you are pushing the hands down on the shaft. You can easily push them down to far and then the hands will hit each other when you try to rotate the crown to set the time.
Also keep in mind if the watch has a date or day you must wind the watch with the hands off to install them at the right spot so the date change will occur at the prescribed time. The service manual will tell you how to set the watch up for proper hand installation so you day and date changes will not occur at 2 PM!

Michael

·
Registered
198 Posts
... it might be worth practising a couple of times on some old junk watch. There will always be differencies of course, but you can experiment a bit with pressure and tools ...

·
Special Member
1,886 Posts
I'd also point out that different watches have different diameter hands. Most (but not all) Seiko auto hands have the same diameter openings; most (again, but not all) Seiko quartz watches have the same diameter openings; but these quartz and auto sizes are different.

Just wanted to double-check that you're not trying to put auto hands on a quartz watch (which would be too loose), or vice versa (which would be too tight to fit and could risk damaging the watch).

From an older post: http://www.thewatchsite.com/34-watchmaking-tinkering/25378-seiko-hands-universal.html

seiko auto hands size are -

hour hole is 1.50mm

minute hole is 0.90mm
second hand is 0.20mm

Seiko quartz hands size are -

hour hole is 1.10mm
minute hole is 0.65mm
second hand is 0.20mm

1 - 5 of 5 Posts