The Watch Site banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I picked up a cockpit instrument-Style Silverwave a few months ago.

I was probably a little to eager with the bidding button but it's here now and I'd like to tidy it up. So, I'm seeking a little help from the experts here...

The case is not to bad a few small dings here and there but nothing that worries me too much. It's a quartz movement that seems to run fine as well.

But it has an awful plastic cheap crystal on it that reflects every little bit of light for miles.

I'd primarily like to get a new glass crystal for it - I found another article saying it's a "flat mineral glass measuring 28mm" - Would this be any generic type? Or should I look for a specific one? Any suggestions on where to buy one?

Any other suggestions for tidying it up appreciated! :)

It's got 22mm wide lugs, sort of wide for a small 34mm watch - A 22mm seiko plastic band should do the trick here - but any suggestions are welcome.

DSC_0236.JPG

DSC_0237.JPG

Thanks
Anthony

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
Good luck on the restoration.

The glass for these is a flat mineral crystal and I would think that a generic would be OK, but I am not sure of the exact size, so can not confirm that.

The original band is an AL14A, unless it is the AL09A for the blue version (slightly hard to pick the color from your photo). I think it would be almost impossible to find one of these so I would suggest a generic type of strap. The original can be seen in the 1982 Vol1 Catalog on page 40.

I have mine on a simple NATO at the moment, and due to the thickness of the case I think you need to have a quite slim strap.

As you can see I also need a new crystal, so will be interested to hear how you get on.

·
Registered
2,407 Posts
Cousins UK have generic flat round glasses for pennies - where are you based?

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
Correct...generic flat crystal will work. Had a local watch guy replace mine with no trouble whatsoever.

I wear mine on a leather NATO...great watch....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
Hi John...bigger and expensive would be Bell&Ross...bigger and affordable would be Wenger, Junkers, Chris Ward, and Yema. All have similar looking designs. Alas, nothing that I know of from Seiko...

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
2628-004a. I know of at least two variants, black dial and blue dial...

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
Just to make it clear for people not familiar with the Seiko crystal codes; the part number that tritto listed (275W01KA00) indicates that the crystal is 27.5mm diameter and not 28mm.

If you are getting a generic crystal please ensure that it is the correct 27.5mm diameter.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hi,

Thanks muchly for all the great advice. I'll go and hunt down a generic 27.5mm crystal.

I'll report back with updated pictures when I get the crystal replaced.

Thanks ! :)
Anthony

1 - 13 of 13 Posts