The Watch Site banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,875 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This Silver Proof Pogue turned up at a small auction in Sydney Australia late last year. It was looking very sad, the crystal was so badly scratched it was difficult to tell if the dial and hands were in good condition or not. It was so frustrating, and not only that, the hour hand was placed conveniently exactly over the Water 70m Proof on the dial. I studied the pictures on the auction web-site until I was going cross eyed. I had to assume it said "Proof" under that hand and just go for it. It had an auction estimate of 100 - 200 AUD. Even in sad condition and poor pic's it cost me a lot more than that! (I don't mind saying it hammered at 2,400 AUD... plus buyer premium)

Here it is as bought - after moving the hands to show the text on the dial:...

Fortunately all was well under the scrap crystal. This is exactly how I like to buy them.
As soon as it arrived in my hands, I packed it off to Duncan for full movement service.
Here's how it looks now: :D

·
Administrator
29,524 Posts
Thats a beauty Jim it really is, when you first showed it me I thought you where on a winner and even more so now it has been to Duncan, really really nice and I think its pretty safe to call the Silver proofs pretty rare, a few about but not many.

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
Wow, wow, wow! What a fantastic find. Truly a beauty. Well done on this acquisition and Duncan’s restoration is stunning.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: SennieG

·
Premium Member
9,285 Posts
OMG. what a gem - that is a thing of beauty. and I'm liking that early date code too. well done. Congrats on a special watch.

·
Registered
3,587 Posts
That's a Beauty Jim!
Duncan did a wonderful job on the restoration!

·
Premium Member
2,875 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
It arrived from Duncan yesterday, looking lovely. I had a President bracelet waiting for it, but when it came to fit it it just wasn't good enough, bummer. So I fitted an NOS Speedtimer bracelet until I find a nice enough President....... iPhone pic:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts