The Watch Site banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm wondering if I should invest in a watch repair tool kit? I love to tinker. I love watches; I own a handful. I'm a photographer (I don't know if that helps) with a macro lens. I'm also retired on a fixed income, so something affordable like a starter kit would be desirable.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
It's a nice hobby. You can get a starter kit but it would be good for opening cases and working on bracelets only, for all the rest you need to buy the tools separately.

·
Registered
308 Posts
I would. I bought a watch polishing kit cause I like to refurb watches

Sent from my HUAWEI P7-L10 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
298 Posts
You can get a good starter's toolkit for 20$ or so... I didn't get a toolkit but I did started buying a few tools every few months or so. I got balls and knives to open up case backs, I have tools to replace straps and bracelets, screwdrivers, a loupe, tweezers, etc.

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Absolutely. Buy tools. Tinker tinker tinker. Though all the kits I've seen are really poor quality, you're much better off buying a few basic but half decent quality tools here and there as required.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Oh man , have I struggled with this one. I too, like to tinker, love the watches and I would love to be able to take them apart, clean and regulate them.
But.
Some of the excellent posts on this site, esp. from Noah, have brought home to me that the very complexity that I find so appealing in these machines means that I should stay away. I'm knocking on a bit and to bugger about with a proper watch and not spoil it needs more time and experience than I've got.
Plus. Character.
My mate Jim used to say that we blacksmiths are at the hooligan end of the metalwork business. You can fix a lot of problems with a hammer. Maybe you need a bigger hammer. I like hammer-based solutions. Tweezers, less so.
If you are cut out for it, go for it. I truly envy you.

·
Special Member
4,964 Posts
Well, the edges certainly last that particular battle...
While I think it looks better than before, I would take more care to protect the edges. Power tools have the tendency to round them off real fast.

·
Craftsman
4,028 Posts
For a true mirror finish, try Dialux green. I've got it this weeks and really delivers what it promises.
I have some inbound. Are you using it on a buffing wheel?

·
Registered
308 Posts

Diamond paste also does a great job. 3000 grid gives the best finish

Sent from my HUAWEI P7-L10 using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 34 Posts