The Watch Site banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
862 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Chris G if you are reading this I bought three shrouds from Claudio. When they get here I may have to send them out to be done. Am I correct in thinking its not easy? I feel I read somewhere its complicated and not to think it's easy. There could be an explosion. :) Any insight guys?

·
Registered
175 Posts
On the H558/H601 it's just a case of removing the 3 small screws that hold the shroud in place. Did it myself a few years back to put a new mineral crystal on mine.

·
Registered
2,974 Posts
I too would like to remove the shroud from my H558-5009 to clean it and underneath but am afraid to do so!
Mine has the original plastic shroud and it's in excellent shape and dont want to break it while attempting to remove.
I have been told that pressure at the 6 and 12 position holds it into place and if one is not VERY careful it could easily break while removing it!

·
Registered
260 Posts
Depending on:
How old and the conditions the plastic shroud was exposed to
How much crud is trapped between the body of the watch and the shroud
If the shroud is clipped under the 12 and 6 strap cutouts
If the shroud is cracked, sometimes it is hard to detect

I would expect most worn arnies to have an 80%+ chance of cracking the shroud during removal.
The metal replacements should not have these problems, and can be put back in place with the 3 screws, w/o the screw collars.

Remember to use some blue loctite to prevent the screws from backing out over time.

Jim
WISconsin USA

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
My $0,2, Jay....

1- Why not seize the moment and send your Arnies and H601 for some servicing/inspection/gaskets replacement.....ya know, the whole 9 yards? That's what I'm doing to both of mine as we speak;

2- While doing that, send the aluminium shrouds for the watchmaker of choice to install them.

As with anything with my watches, the best I can do (or at least that my guts permit) is change straps. I don't feel confortable in trying to temper with them, even a simple shroud replacement, which is a cosmetic thing. These watches mean a lot to me (any that is in my colletcion, not just the Arnies) and I flat out HATE scratches and marks on my watches. So, if I attempted to replaced screws or the shroud in my tunas or shrouded diver's, and unfortunatelly end up missing the spot and scratch the watch with a screwdriver, I would not sleep for a month! That's how serious I take this stuff.

Do your watches a favor and let a professional handle any business on them appart a simple strap replacement. You would not attempt a rout channel treatment on yourself and would go see a dentist, so why not face your watches under the same prisma? But that's just me, you know...

Food for thought....

Congrats on buying Claudio's pieces. He's a very nice guy to deal with, and he sent me an ebay message that he is offering a fresh batch of shrouds for sale, currently, on his ebay page.

Regards,
CHRIS

·
Registered
249 Posts
It's three screws. How hard can it be replacing the old shroud with the new aluminum shroud?

If you are not replacing and just cleaning, move slowly and carefully.

But like Chris says, if you don't feel comfortable doing it, hire someone.

·
Registered
110 Posts
jadolley88 said:
Depending on:
How old and the conditions the plastic shroud was exposed to
How much crud is trapped between the body of the watch and the shroud
If the shroud is clipped under the 12 and 6 strap cutouts
If the shroud is cracked, sometimes it is hard to detect

I would expect most worn arnies to have an 80%+ chance of cracking the shroud during removal.
The metal replacements should not have these problems, and can be put back in place with the 3 screws, w/o the screw collars.

Remember to use some blue loctite to prevent the screws from backing out over time.

Jim
WISconsin USA
Time_watcher said it too, be careful! My shroud was actually in the process of disintegrating, so when I took it off gingerly it was partially cracked and the cracks grew.
As said previously, it's only a few screws, so those are no problem. Get your self one of the replacements and just screw it right in...its fairly easy.

I'd be afraid if you hired someone and in a rush they broke it anyways!!! (oh, that won't happen....yeah right!) If you want to clean, take out the screws and gently work it out as a unit. Do not just yank on one side or you will surely break it.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Hey Everyone,
I heated my original plastic shroud with a blow dryer to make it more pliable as I removed it. Repeated heating will be necessary and then you gently loosen one side at a time working your way around the shroud. Keep the plastic shroud warm throughout the removal process.
Good Luck!
Chris

1 - 9 of 9 Posts