The Watch Site banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Dear SCWF users.
This is my first post here in the forum, although it is not the first time I've been here visiting. I will soon buy one or 2 Seiko watches (one of them is a new one, and the other one I will need your help).
The thing is that I've seen on a website a user selling one Seiko 5 automatic 21 jewels from the 80's, for a low price (65€ or 70$ +/-), and I can't find the original in any old catalog from Seiko.
I will attach some photos of it so you can help me to see if it's a fake one or not, but it seems a very good deal for the watch, which the vendor says it is functioning great (it has been revised on the last months).
Thank you in advance.

Attachments

·
Special Member
4,964 Posts
Well, I read "7S26" on the caseback, which indicated a watch made after/in 1996.

There is a 7009 version of this watch, I am sure. But this is not it. The dial looks a bit suspicious to me, and 70 USD is not that cheap.

It resembles closely the Seiko SNXS series, but that's not it. But these you can have new under 100 USD...

Try your hand with the Seiko 5 finder:
http://www.watchsleuth.com/seiko5finder/search/?MOD=SNKH17
(that's also not the watch you've shown, but close. Also see SNXG47)

·
Premium Member
2,070 Posts
Serial number is 000714 which suggests its 0ct 2000, or at least the case back is.
No dial code at the bottom of the dial= suspicious.
Also shouldn't the "5" logo be at the top and "Automatic" at the bottom?

·
Special Member
2,430 Posts
Walk away, there are much nicer watches to be had for that sort of money.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you all

Well, I read "7S26" on the caseback, which indicated a watch made after/in 1996.

There is a 7009 version of this watch, I am sure. But this is not it. The dial looks a bit suspicious to me, and 70 USD is not that cheap.

It resembles closely the Seiko SNXS series, but that's not it. But these you can have new under 100 USD...

Try your hand with the Seiko 5 finder:
watchsleuth/seiko5finder/search/?MOD=SNKH17
(that's also not the watch you've shown, but close. Also see SNXG47)
First things first, let me thank you all for your replies, they've made me think a bit on this matter.

Mr. Jones, thank you very very much for this tool, and I searched on it alot, and I couldn't find the watch there. I've asked the seller for another picture from the back of the watch, with more quality, and he sent me the picture that I've added on the first thread.
I've searched in every single website I could, but I'm afraid that it could be a fake one. As you said, 70$ is not that cheap, but for my first automatic seiko, this would be great.
How about the condition of the watch? He says it's working fine, and it has been revised, but I think a new bracelet is needed and maybe a polish on the back, no?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Serial number is 000714 which suggests its 0ct 2000, or at least the case back is.
No dial code at the bottom of the dial= suspicious.
Also shouldn't the "5" logo be at the top and "Automatic" at the bottom?
That's what I thought, there are just a few watches where the 5 is separated from the "Seiko" logo on the dial. It's weird that they are switched.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts