The Watch Site banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in love with vintage seiko / citizen chrono.
I am trying to study some of the Citizen 8110A variations and I noticed, as usual, that prices vary from 300 to 1000 eur.
Should I be worried about aftermarket parts in these watches the same way I was worried searching for a Pogue Seiko?
Can someone share some tips which I should follow buying this watch?
THx
Andrea

·
Registered
277 Posts
Unfortunately, many of the 8110s especially the bullheads contain aftermarket parts. Almost more than the pogues which are well known for their aftermarket parts. Be patient and you’ll find a good one, make sure you know what to look for. Here’s mine, a great watch and a great size in my opinion, one of the smallest chronographs out there.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Bullhead like yours and a 67-9119 is my first choice. Congrats awesome watch!
Can you tell me a fair price for a watch like the one you own?
Do you know some websites that teach how to spot aftermarket parts?
Thank you
Andrea

·
Registered
277 Posts
Bullhead like yours and a 67-9119 is my first choice. Congrats awesome watch!
Can you tell me a fair price for a watch like the one you own?
Do you know some websites that teach how to spot aftermarket parts?
Thank you
Andrea
It’s been about 4 years since I bought this watch and I don’t keep a very close eye on the market, I paid 300 for mine. I imagine prices have moved on a bit since then. It’s a great watch, the movement is actually quite advanced with flyback, quickset, fairly high beat and also the barrel arbors are jewelled from factory which equivalent Seiko’s of the period didn’t have. Vintage Citizen watches.com has lots of info on most models so I would learn what to look for there.

·
Premium Member
1,174 Posts
Have a look at a site called The sweephand
It covers the citizen range of bullheads very well

·
Registered
456 Posts
the 9119 has a plastic dial and no AM options. The 9038s and 9011s have some AM dials; some are downright ugly and some are rather convincing! Most of the 9011 hands are aftermarket, one tell-tale sign is the longer tail on the recorder hands. If you're in the market for a 9119, look for an unmarked countdown bezel (the rotating ring), original crystal that has a wider chamfer on the edge, recorder hands in orange that don't overlap the sub register outer ring and an unpolished, black bezel. The case shouldn't be mirror-polished.
Sweephand (Stephen) has the best writeup about the 8110 and their variants. Lots to learn there! Here's the link-

Here's my 9119-

It's not perfect and my recorder hands are from a 9313 but I have a NOS dial and another set of hands for "phase III" :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts