The Watch Site banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, I'm a bottom feeder, I admit it, but I enjoy the challenge of finding something less expensive and then having some room in the budget to fix it. That's the part I like...the fixing of it.

I've been perplexed by what, comparatively, are extremely high shipping costs from.......the UK. I thought paying $19 for shipping from Bulgaria was high, until this morning I saw an Ebay listing for a watch from the UK with shipping costs........................wait for it.....................$62.62US! Is this how socialized medicine is paid for?

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
We have the same problem here in the UK getting stuff from the US. In the early days I could get a watch on ebay shipped for £6 or less USPS flat rate package or something similar.
Ebay's Global shipping Programme puts the import duty and high shipping costs onto the buyer for what is basically a £15 track and signed package with insurance up to £250 plus import duty on top.
I post to US for £15 for a watch and leave the import duty up to customs. Hopefully some get through without costs to buyer.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ebay was required to start collecting sales tax on purchases by US buyers, even from things bought out of country. So I get it, but I don't like it. High shipping costs has the effect of restricting purchases to one's own country. I wonder if Ross' example sold?

·
Premium Member
846 Posts
Ebay was required to start collecting sales tax on purchases by US buyers, even from things bought out of country. So I get it, but I don't like it. High shipping costs has the effect of restricting purchases to one's own country. I wonder if Ross' example sold?
Bulla Vinaka fijidad,

Ebay world wide has been collecting & paying most governments sales/import tax, but thats not the reason for inflated shipping costs,

Ebay has brought in a company call Pitney Bowes who run the GSP and have left it up to the seller to add in their "own packing charge" and as Pitney Bowes have their own profit base, as well as the actual shipping company that have the contract in the franchise area. So that 3 sets of mark ups on the transport of the one item. but what really gets my goat is even though its got expensive its just got much slower, they (GSP) have their own distribution centres that they must ship via and it just slows every thing down, especially if you ship internationally. The Good old USPS is half the cost and twice as fast, DHL or FedEx are a bit more expensive but even faster. GSP seam to have the slowest shipping contractors possible - if the jobs done on a fixed contract i guess that they dont need to have an urgency, but every time I now purchase via Ebay, shipping costs & shipping company's are a major are a discussion/ negotiating point.

·
Registered
77 Posts
The worst thing about GSP as a UK buyer is that Jewellery items (Watches are included in that) are on the prohibitted items list and won't ship to the UK at all. You just get an error when trying to bid/purchase. It's maddening. I've given up asking sellers to offer a different postage method so I can throw money at them but it falls on deaf ears most of the time.

·
Premium Member
846 Posts
The worst thing about GSP as a UK buyer is that Jewellery items (Watches are included in that) are on the prohibitted items list and won't ship to the UK at all. You just get an error when trying to bid/purchase. It's maddening. I've given up asking sellers to offer a different postage method so I can throw money at them but it falls on deaf ears most of the time.
I have shipped watches from Europe with no issues 2 months ago 1 from Italy but not via GSP do they say why its prohibited ?

·
Registered
21 Posts
MY 2 PENCE WORTH....for what it's worth! 🤔🤔
I think it must be said that transit times internationally are longer now, and have been over the last 3/4 months. But I do not think you can blame GSP or the carriers, as due to the Coronavirus pandemic there are a lot less aircraft flying around the world and in some cases a lot less couriers operating. As to costs, it generally costs around GB£14-16 to send overseas from the UK and if you have someone charging $62 then either he is taking the p**s or there is a high insurance cost. Yes, the US does seem to have a higher rate than others, but if you think they are bad, check out eBay items from Denmark! As for GSP saying watches are on their prohibited list, well I send timepieces out of UK nearly every week, and all I get is a notification telling me about the item being held up, and then a few days later, another telling me the item is on its way - no problem really. As for GSP charging more than the post office or DHL, UPS etc Oh God YES!! But I still use them as a seller as it is much more convenient to do so. Most items sent overseas through GSP seem to take 10-14 days on average (except for Spain where they just go missing!) but recently I sent a package direct to Israel (not via GSP), cost GB£17, and took 6 weeks!💩

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
I haven't shipped with the GSP, so my question naturally is,(Covid 19 aside) how much more convenient, than going to your local PO ?
I think the convenience of local shipping is the major attraction. The US seller posts the item to a US address, the package is then bulk shipped to the UK (or wherever) and then handed to the local postage service. The seller doesn't need to worry about the risk involved with international shipping - once GSP receives it the seller is confirmed to have done his part.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
21 Posts
I haven't shipped with the GSP, so my question naturally is,(Covid 19 aside) how much more convenient, than going to your local PO ?
Basically because GSP does most of the work for you. I use eBay to print the labels, and still have to go to the post office to have them scanned, but, once the item has arrived at the eBay depot all the responsibility for the shipping is theirs. I do not have to worry about customs, duties etc. Everything is tracked and should it go astray somewhere then there is not so much of a problem. The buyer reports a non-delivery, eBay check the tracking and deal with any refunds and fees owed to both buyer and seller. The only downside is I have to pay 10% of the domestic postage as part of my eBay fees. If I just use the normal UK post then as the sender I am responsible for the item until it is delivered, and I have to try to find it or put in a claim with the post office which can take weeks to resolve, therefore more convenient.:)(y)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts