The Watch Site banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

Note that I wrote all of this before I noticed Feca's similar posting on a similar topic, but I figured there's no risk of 6105 content boring this crowd :).

About two weeks ago, I spotted a listing on our favorite auction site for a "Vintage Native American Design Thomas Singer Men's Cuff Watch Bracelet Seiko." The listing focused almost exclusively on the bracelet, mentioning that it comes "With Seiko Dive Watch" almost as an afterthought. The only photo of the item that included the watch was the following:

I immediately made this seller a BIN offer that ended up being $200 more than I eventually won it for at auction. There were no bids, but she declined nicely, and asked why I offered so much. I gave her all the info about the 6105 - probably more than she wanted. She responded politely but didn't add any info to the listing.

It arrived promptly, with the crystal shot to hell.

Case back had one larger smudge, but otherwise the case and case back were both amazing. The circular brushing on the back is still sharply visible. In fact, I'm pretty sure I can make out the shadow of the case back sticker - it doesn't show up well on the photo, though.

The bezel was in great shape, but frozen solid. When I got it off, it was clear why - despite the great cosmetics it had accumulated an awful lot of gunk. Here's a shot of it half-cleaned.

Once cleaned up, the bezel works perfectly. Unfortunately, the crown locking mechanism is kaput, but I can accept that. The movement looked amazing considering its age (and apparent lack of any service, ever), and with my regulation it's running a solid +8s/day. And without further ado, here it is with its facelift.

The hand's "pink dot" is actually quite a bit darker than it appears in these shots. Not sure why. Anyway, I'm thrilled with it! I own another 6105-811X that's almost as nice, and I don't think I'll be able to force myself to sell either. One's a 8119 and the other a 8110, so maybe I can delude myself into thinking I need one of each... :)

Cheers!

·
Registered
6,305 Posts
well another great find...looks amazing...now i need to find one too

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Thanks all! I really didn't have to do much - all it needed after the bezel was cleared was a crystal and a strap! Feca's transformation shows me how much I have to learn if I really want to be able to "restore" these things.

Superb
But what about the bracelet ;)
Unfortunately, one of the little pieces that covers the lugs broke off when I removed the watch. I think it had previously broken and been re-affixed with glue. I put it up on ebay, and have gotten a few messages about it, including from a Native American artisan who knows the original maker. I hope it'll go to someone who appreciates it more than I can.

And on a semi-related note, after I said that my 6105-8110 is "almost as nice" I couldn't help but do a direct comparison. It's a pretty close call. Aside from the wjean strap, the 8110 is all original, including the crystal (with faint scratches). The lock works on it, the bezel insert is literally flawless, and the second hand is just insane - still red, not even pink. But the back definitely has seen more wear. Anyway, I could waste away hours comparing them :).

·
Registered
6,305 Posts
well you have a great pair of watches for sure

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Excellent work, lovely watch. You weren't tempted to put it back on the Navajo cuff then?

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Excellent work, lovely watch. You weren't tempted to put it back on the Navajo cuff then?
I was, and I definitely respect it as a piece of art. But I didn't for two reasons. 1) It looked to me like it would damage the lugs over time. 2) There's no way I could pull off wearing it in most settings. Plus, as you said in your thread, I really do think it looks best on rubber...

·
Registered
205 Posts
*Drool*... I actually got cured of my desire to own a 6105 by acquiring a Typhoon which just didn't work on my wrist, size/shape wise.

...but that doesn't mean I wouldn't like to stare at these for a while!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
205 Posts
P.S. Since it was an incidental purchase good on you for getting the cuff back on the market for someone else!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
44 Posts
I 've seen the watch for sale but as it was shipment for america only I couldn't bit. I'm happy it went to a real collector and not to a trader like some of the watches I was overbid at and see them coming a couple of weeks later for sale again for 3-4 times the original purchase price.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts