The Watch Site banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have been wearing this for the last month or so without any problem, when today it started to lose time. (5 minutes in 2 hours)
I had inherited it from my father in law who had passed on, and it hasn't been worn in years, and has unknown service history.
I have been reading about 6138/6139 and how parts are getting difficult to find, and that there are fewer and fewer places to get them serviced.

Is this the same with the 6117? I have two local repair places (North Seattle), and want to support local, but wondering if the 6117 has any particulars that would need special attention from someone with special training?

I will also explore getting a new crystal for it. Are these a common enough part, or will sourcing be a problem?

Thanks for any help.

·
Administrator
30,651 Posts
Looks to be in nice condition underneath that crystal(350T02ANS) new one should be pretty easy to source or even polish the one on the watch if you have too.

If it's been running ok i should imagine it just needs a service which most competent watch makers should be ok with.

·
Registered
708 Posts
If it's been running ok i should imagine it just needs a service which most competent watch makers should be ok with.
Agreed. I've got a 6217 world timer and it's not a terribly complicated watch. Most watchmakers should be able to service it. As for parts availability, I'm sure that most service parts are out there. It's dials, hands, etc. that seem to be difficult to find. Oh, and 24 hour wheels -- at least for the 6217. They're darn near extinct unless you look for a donor watch. I just hate to tear down a watch just for one part.

Should be a darn nice watch when it's all done! I look forward to seeing it.

·
Registered
912 Posts
Love those worldtimers!

Super easy movements to work on, a watchmaker should eat that up. Whether they would want to do it though..............you'll have to ask and see.

I'm sure that will just need a good service to get it running nicely again, good luck with it.

Stefan (seikochrono here, schilachi51 on eBay) is a top bloke and has had the acrylic crystals for these up for sale before, well worth asking if he has anymore, I'm sure it only cost me £8 last time :)
I notice there are two styles of crystal, one has a sharp edge and the other has a more domed/rounded edge.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Why not just polish the crystal??
Indeed!

As for the two types of crystals. The rounded type are thick and I think original where as the sharp edge ones are Seiko replacements. That's my theory anyway. The NOS crystals I brought off Stefan (£8) had sharp edges where as my proof watch the same as this one has a real thick crystal with rounded edges.

My Navigator is one of my fav watches. Hope you get it sorted. If not there are plenty of folk on here who have the skills to service these for you. Know anyone Tom?

Enjoy!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts