The Watch Site banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello, has anyone ever bought a watch from a seller in India by the name: watch-mart? just wanted to get an idea if it sells good stuff.

Thanks

·
Registered
211 Posts
I have bought a couple although not from the seller you mention. I might have been lucky but found them ok, as long as your expectations aren't too high. The watches were cheap, free postage included. I thought it was worth a gamble, I bought one intending to strip it for parts but it was too nice and still wear it, the other was for parts only but was still useable.

Having said that, I am not sure I would like to risk buying something too expensive.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Really wish you could choose countries to eliminate in searches
How silly, as if it was about the country. As it happens, they sell cheap watches that have been restored to the best of their possibilities. Pictures are there for anyone to judge, nobody is deceived, and buyers have multiple layers of protection. Try to focus on learning about watches, instead of spewing prejudice.

·
Premium Member
2,906 Posts
How silly, as if it was about the country. As it happens, they sell cheap watches that have been restored to the best of their possibilities. Pictures are there for anyone to judge, nobody is deceived, and buyers have multiple layers of protection. Try to focus on learning about watches, instead of spewing prejudice.
I tend to agree with Braad. When I search for vintage Seiko I don't want to trawl through literally hundreds of the same old crap, page after page of it that is re-listed every day by sellers in India.

·
Registered
6,058 Posts
How can anybody buy the garbagey junk from "thewatchcollector" affectionately known as "Ramon" and then thumb their nose at sellers based in India? Ridiculous. His dirty, knackered parts bin specials are always well-described when it suits him but he morphs into "I don't know anything" feigned ignorance when that suits him better and his castaways are usually worse than the ones from India in my experiences.

$15.00 Seiko 5's from India might have literally any part or movement or mixing of parts under the hood - I know from experience. Their dials may be repainted and maybe not so well. But they're $15 for gosh sake.

I have purchased nice watches from India in the $150-$300 range and been very pleased. Buy the Seller.

C'mon guys, think hard: buy cheap under-priced junk, get what you paid for. It's simple!

·
Premium Member
2,906 Posts
Yes, but I'm not looking for under-priced junk.
The trouble is you cant get away from it. They relist it all every day.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I tend to agree with Braad. When I search for vintage Seiko I don't want to trawl through literally hundreds of the same old crap, page after page of it that is re-listed every day by sellers in India.
Exactly what Jim said.

It's not about prejudice, I also often don't want to see listings from the US/UK/Europe, but I do from Japan. Postage/fees for certain items can be ridiculous when we are talking about watches. Merely stating it would be good to have an option, does not mean I'm "spewing prejudice"

Btw, thank you for the link, I shall block certain sellers when I'm searching for certain items

Edit: As an aside, there seems to be no way to exclude sellers on the eBay app, only web browser

·
Registered
616 Posts
It's not prejudice to recognize that poor quality counterfeit crap from India for what it is. I'm not going to be shamed with phrases like "spewing prejudice" into indulging this emerging culture of counterfeiting junk Seiko's from India. It's crap and it's overwhelming the watch sales section on eBay and it needs to be stopped or eBay needs better tools for filtering sales.

·
Premium Member
1,723 Posts
I look at MOST of the Indian sellers as an economical source for watch parts, rather than wearable watches. This means that I spend a crazy amount of time studying the photographs for movement numbers and rare bracelets.

Am I ever disappointed? Not really. What can you REALLY expect for 18 bucks, shipping included, from India? And I always leave positive feedback.

·
Registered
35 Posts
The rule of thumb I use for India based sellers is Daily wearer at work or parts watch only. I actually tried to buy a higher-end watch that was "fully restored" and what I found upon removing the back cover was signs of catastrophic water incursion and a movement that was basically gasping it's last few breaths. I now steer clear of Indian sellers for higher-end and, if in doubt, ask sellers to upload a video of the watch to YouTube so I can get a slightly better grasp of the condition.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I look at MOST of the Indian sellers as an economical source for watch parts, rather than wearable watches. This means that I spend a crazy amount of time studying the photographs for movement numbers and rare bracelets.

Am I ever disappointed? Not really. What can you REALLY expect for 18 bucks, shipping included, from India? And I always leave positive feedback.
Decent for steel cases that could be refinished when all else fails. Beyond that it's dodgy AF.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts