The Watch Site banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not sure I understand Seiko's logic, but it certainly would not be the first time.

Not too long ago, maybe two years, the Prospex lineup was a step up in function, technology, and price. Seems like the additions, especially recently, don't follow suit. Another member just posted about new shrouded Monsters that bear the Prospex logo on the dial. The change from a pseudo shroud to a real shroud makes it a Prospex?

I think it cheapens the Prospex line. There must be some logic as to why they are making these Prospex instead of "Superior.' Curious what your thoughts on this are as I'm stumped.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
363 Posts
The "Prospex" brand does not occupy the same place in the popular consciousness as it does with us. People in malls don't know from shrouds. Bringing the brand to North America is a marketing play by Seiko to introduce consumers to its products, including pieces that we regard as downmarket from their JDM roots. Seiko is always dammed if they do and dammed if they don't with their hardcore fans: either we bemoan lack of access to their full range or we decry the watering-down that expansion begets.

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I agree, John. But Seiko appears to be bringing their high end stuff to North America in an attempt to position itself as a company that can compete favorably against upmarket brands....the boutique in NYC with Credor and GS models, bringing the JDM Prosoex line to dealers in the US, etc. Why broaden the Prospex line with watches that are not differentiated from the more standard SRP line by anything more than a logo? It just seems contrary to how they say they want to be positioned.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
I agree, John. But Seiko appears to be bringing their high end stuff to North America in an attempt to position itself as a company that can compete favorably against upmarket brands....the boutique in NYC with Credor and GS models, bringing the JDM Prosoex line to dealers in the US, etc. Why broaden the Prospex line with watches that are not differentiated from the more standard SRP line by anything more than a logo? It just seems contrary to how they say they want to be positioned.

Doesn't this follow Seiko's branding model of vague guidelines for everything except the high end?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.