The Watch Site banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This year is a significant year for me age-wise and I’ve been on the lookout for something suitable to mark the occasion. I’ve considered all sorts of possibilities, covering a fairly wide-ranging budget, but my heart lies in the realm of the vintage and in particular with Seiko. Given the nature of this particular landmark, an obvious period to aim for is the early 1960′s with 1964 being ideal. I’ve written previously about three projects dating from 1964 (here, here and here). The last of these was a Seiko Sportsmatic Silverwave 30 proof, a budget version of Seiko’s first semi-professional divers watch, the Seikomatic Silverwave 50 proof with model number J12082.

The older 50 proof model was produced from 1961 to about 1964 and finding decent examples is very difficult (in fact it’s hard enough to find examples in any kind of condition). As they come up so rarely on Ebay, I started combing the Yahoo Japan auction site and a few weeks ago stumbled upon an auction for what looked like a new old stock example of the J12082 complete with original bracelet. The progressive weakening of the Yen over the past year coupled with the strengthening of the pound has meant that buying direct from Japan provides much better value for money than it has in recent years and some determined bidding won me the auction. It has taken nearly a month for the watch to make its way to me but last week it arrived, having paused briefly for the British Customs to dip a little further into my pocket for the VAT. Without further ado, here it is:

More details and photos here.

Martin

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Lovely watches guys. One on my going to own at some point list! Watched a 30m go through today online but it's dial was stained :(

·
Registered
2,626 Posts
Beautiful watch Martin !! Wear it in good health !! :bowing:

·
Registered
579 Posts
A stunner...I love my 30m model (tough to find as well) and would love to add one of these 50m models as well. The big crown is fantastic!

Congrats!!

·
Registered
416 Posts
Congratulations Martin, you scored very well,a beautiful piece and the first time I have seen the original bracelet. Been born Feb of 1963 the best I could come up with was another June 63 model.............

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Hi John, I am not a collector really, just an accumulator and all of the watches I own, I own to wear and use. This one is no exception although I won't wear it until my birthday later this year, by which point I hope I will have found time to service it. So, most definitately a wearer, although I may well take a little more care when wearing it than I do with most of the frogs to swans normally on my wrist :smiley:

Martin

Just don't come any better, a beautiful watch, so is it going to be a wearer Martin or a safe Queen ? :)

·
Registered
93 Posts
Love your blog and I receive regular updates....
This is one of the seikos that is missing in my collection,hard to find in such a nice condition,congrats.

·
Registered
550 Posts
Beautiful example!!!!

Congrats on picking up such a rare and clean example. You simply don't see too many like that!!! A keeper for sure!!!!

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Thanks for the extra pics Martin - now this is a really geeky question - but what was that hang tag in the 1st pic? And if original,what did the box look like?
The high-shine polished finish on yours is a surprise, I thought that these were always Matt, but on reflection that's probably because I have never seen one in this 'as new' condition.
The bracelet is surprisingly blingy too!

·
Registered
3,743 Posts
Perhaps it's been already said Martin, but I admire your dedication and knowledge surrounding this hobby. I say this not because I'm blowing smoke but rather to acknowledge all your hard work and sharing it with others such as myself whose WIS acumen is only skin deep. Thank you.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks for the extra pics Martin - now this is a really geeky question - but what was that hang tag in the 1st pic? And if original,what did the box look like?
The hang tag is the original Silverwave tag, still attached to the bracelet but I'm not sure the box it came in was original to the watch.

The high-shine polished finish on yours is a surprise, I thought that these were always Matt, but on reflection that's probably because I have never seen one in this 'as new' condition.
The bracelet is surprisingly blingy too!
The cases on all of the early Silverwaves I've seen are polished but of course that will flatten a bit with age and wear as the watch picks up scratches. The bracelet has satin centre links and polished outer, rather like the bracelets fitted to the very earliest Seamaster 300's.

Martin

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Perhaps it's been already said Martin, but I admire your dedication and knowledge surrounding this hobby. I say this not because I'm blowing smoke but rather to acknowledge all your hard work and sharing it with others such as myself whose WIS acumen is only skin deep. Thank you.
Russ, your kind comments are much appreciated although I would not pretend that my knowledge is any greater than or even up to that of many others around here. I enjoy the learning process immensely though and documenting it helps me to get to grips with it all in a way which I might not if I were simply fiddling about with watches in my spare time!

Martin

·
Registered
400 Posts
I was born in 1963 and I don't remember getting a 50th birthday gift from you. PM me for my mailing address if you feel so inclined :)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts