The Watch Site banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,899 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Here's a couple of Seikomatic Selfdaters. These featured the 39 jewels cal. 395 movement which was the top of the range in the early 60's. the 395 was the first low-beat chronometer. It evolved into the 6216 and the 6246 Grand Seiko. Seikomatic Selfdaters appeared in 30m, 50m, and the much harder to find 70m versions. They don't get GS or diver money as yet, which suits me.

Here's a 50m from my collection:

And my 70m version recently returned from Duncan for a full movement service. I found this gold cap example on the YJ auction a few months ago:

A nice case back on these!

·
Registered
4,936 Posts
Great examples, Jim! Not a fan of golden dress watches, but it looks really nice!

·
Premium Member
2,899 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Great examples, Jim! Not a fan of golden dress watches, but it looks really nice!
I'm with you there Jonas.. for the most part. I have a large wrist and prefer a bigger watch, but some of the early 60's Seilomatic's, Sportsmatic's and Silverwaves, ... and GS, KS, LM, Bellmatics, etc.... do appeal to me.

·
Premium Member
2,899 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Like them both Jim although agree with Jonas on the gold, but that 50m version is particularly fetching I must say. Condition of them is damn nice.
I've only ever seen the 70m version with cap gold.

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
Case back's are epic! Love the silver sunburst dials, they look great in the flesh. They don't photograph well, I've got an old mint 66- with silver dial and it's a thing of beauty.

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
hi jim . my stainless 50m says hi!
its got the etched, not engraved, back, and after 54 years the whale, "39", and the crown are near-imperceptible , though still visible at kissing distance to the naked eye

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
sorry jim. i forgot the pictures.

here this middle-aged gent does the groceries

if you have a caseback that you are willing to part with, let me know!
(sorry John, shameless self-promotion...)

Sent from my B15Q using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2,899 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The 70m version certainly is a rare bird. This is a special watch. It would have been top of the range in its day, and maybe all 70m were gold cap? The 70m depth rating was not bettered until the 62mas was introduced in 1965.

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
Interesting but useless fact:

260 microns is equal to one-fourth of a millimeter.

the width of a typical human hair is 75 microns. So 260 microns would be about 4 hairs wide. Nothing to scoff at, and would certainly survive a lifetime of wear.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts