The Watch Site banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Curious what would be the best way to put together a franken willard?

Get a original case, upgraded movement? saphire crystal?

Not sure since I haven't done a mod before.

· Special Member
1,859 Posts
You would be better off, as in less expensive and more compatible, to use a case from a new SPB Willard, an original 6105-811x case is $500+ for just a case and bezel. If you shop you can buy a used SPB for under $750, well shopped. If you are talking about cheap chinese copies, they can be had for $100 or so, but all of the parts out there are not going to fit and in the end what will you have? A cheap chinese copy. Nowadays you can but a new 5KX for under $180 and start with that as your platform for a Mod, sky is the limit for dial, hands, bezel, crown and crystal choices. My own experience was that "mods" were all about the build and once done I ended up getting bored and flipping the watch, this is one I did in 2001 that I truly wish I still had, but apparently not enough to build another one :)
Watch Analog watch Product Clock Gadget

· Special Member
9,687 Posts
As far as the 6105-8110 quartz mod goes, easy as pie. Just use a 7546 or Y513 which are plentiful and cheap or pay more for the 7548. Direct swap. I almost did this last month with a 6105 Willard project before dropping in a 6306 until my newest spare 6105 movement is ready for business.

So get a spare case, gather up the dial that is made for a 6105, 6306, 6309, 7546 or 7548. The stem and crown need to get sorted, so an aftermarket crown on a proper stem cut to fit solved that unless you use a 6105.

Sapphire and dome/profile crystal to suit work great.

Have fun with it !

· Special Member
9,687 Posts
You would be better off, as in less expensive and more compatible, to use a case from a new SPB Willard, an original 6105-811x case is $500+ for just a case and bezel. If you shop you can buy a used SPB for under $750, well shopped. If you are talking about cheap chinese copies, they can be had for $100 or so, but all of the parts out there are not going to fit and in the end what will you have? A cheap chinese copy. Nowadays you can but a new 5KX for under $180 and start with that as your platform for a Mod, sky is the limit for dial, hands, bezel, crown and crystal choices. My own experience was that "mods" were all about the build and once done I ended up getting bored and flipping the watch, this is one I did in 2001 that I truly wish I still had, but apparently not enough to build another one :)
View attachment 496758
Like Vince says, the Asian clones often have "true 4 o'clock" crown locations that nessitate special dial feet locations and unique date wheels to align.

· Registered
368 Posts
I dabbled with a few modded Chinese homage 6105's a year or so ago, so see whether I'd get excited by modding my own.
Base for the s/s ones is the Steeldive SD1970. NH35 movement, sapphire crystal, ceramic bezel insert. About $120USD delivered, from memory.
Good fun, great value, but didn't stay in the box for long.
The bronze one is a San Martin 6105 homage. Super watch

Watch Analog watch Product Clock Watch accessory

Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Clock Font

Watch Analog watch Arm Clock Watch accessory

Watch Analog watch Automotive lighting Automotive tire Silver

· Registered
46 Posts
If you want to go with all-new parts, Namoki sells Willard cases designed for NH35/36 movements, along with pretty much everything else you might want or need. I'd assume some of the other Seiko mod parts sites have something similar.

· Special Member
9,687 Posts
If you want to go with all-new parts, Namoki sells Willard cases designed for NH35/36 movements, along with pretty much everything else you might want or need. I'd assume some of the other Seiko mod parts sites have something similar.
Bearing in mind the crown will be at “3:18” or “4:22” but not “true 4 o’clock”

· Special Member
9,687 Posts
Of course you can always go this route: .

· Registered
46 Posts
Of course you can always go this route: .
I wouldn't recommend that for one's first mod project, but that is undeniably very, very cool.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.