The Watch Site banner

21 - 40 of 95 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
KevG said:
Hi John, I believe that the 4R16 Auto movement was introduced in 2008.

Kevin.
Thank, I will add that info to the DB in my next edit.
John

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Having learned that the first 2 digits of a serial No. are the year & month you can work out quickly the watches age but is there any list for model life span because as a newby to Seiko this quick check only works if you know the decade the model is from. i.e. until I get more familiar with the styles I could be 10 years out.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
skg7548 said:
Having learned that the first 2 digits of a serial No. are the year & month you can work out quickly the watches age but is there any list for model life span because as a newby to Seiko this quick check only works if you know the decade the model is from. i.e. until I get more familiar with the styles I could be 10 years out.
There is very little info on which movements are in use for more than 10 years, so even the experts have trouble with this one. The only one I know of personally that was used for more than 10 years is the 7s26 movement that Seiko recently replaced with the 4R series. Unless I get more accurate info, I can't do much to improve the calculator :(

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Sorry I didn't mean the movement, I meant the case type (that's how new I am to this, I can't name a watch from it's appearance yet, or more importantly, age it). Also the note you make about the 1976 or 1986 watch shows if a style ran for more that 10yrs the problem would be more difficult to solve

·
Registered
695 Posts
Great! Thank you John . . .

Capt. Serdal

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi John, I'm new here (Aug. 2, 2013 , 3:24 PM in Ontario Canada) thank you for setting up the S.W.P.D. Calculator on here! :clap:
My old Seiko Automatic TV style watch was made in Feb. 1988 as it turns out. Now I just need to figure out how to source a replacement part for the original B 432 watch band that came with it!
Hopefully someone on here can help me with this.

For your Seiko database, its model (?) # 7009- 5019, Serial # 822958.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Hi startdotstar.. Does your back case have Japan A inscribe after water resist?? Coz for what i know earlier batch of 6309s have Japan A instead of just a A. Correct me if im wrong guys.

·
Registered
1 Posts
SKX171 year identified. Thanks!

Thank you from me too! As a result of your work I was able to identify my SKX171 is from 1996. I had forgotten when I bought it. I got it out recently to flip, but after wearing it for a couple of days I've decided to keep it a while yet :yahoo:

Attachments

·
Registered
3,871 Posts
Mine reads

6309-7040's ,

7040 , Some of mine reads
151xxx .... Calendar says 1981
another reads
another
reads 360xxx....... Calendar says 1983

·
Registered
6,173 Posts
well what do you do when yours comes up unknown....i have just got a H601 5480 AO ..the serial number is 177xxx...i thinkif i understand it correctly...it is July 1981..am i right or all mixed up....

·
Registered
1 Posts
You don't really need the calculator. The first digit of the serial number is the year, and the second digit is the month. That's it. Usually you can guess the decade by the style and general condition of the watch.

Example: 1980s watch, serial number 420121. The first 4 means 1984, the 2 means February.

21 - 40 of 95 Posts