The Watch Site banner

1 - 20 of 95 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Gang,

I spent a few hours rewriting my old code for the Seiko Watch Production Date Calculator, and I think it is slightly better than the original. You just have to type in your movement number, the serial number, and my program will print out the production month and year.

Here is the new link: http://www.csce.uark.edu/~jgauch/photos/seiko/

The list of start years for Seiko movements is in need of updating, so I will need your collective help in bringing the program up to date. My plan is to add a similar CGI that will let SCWF members upload serial numbers and purchase decades for watches that are NOT in my list, and then crunch the numbers to get start dates for movements not on my list.

Cheers,
John

·
Registered
4,488 Posts
:bravo_2: Thanks very much!! +1

·
Registered
4,488 Posts
6R15 were introduced from November 2005.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Hi John,

This is great news, :bravo_2: many thanks from The Netherlands!!! :)

If you like, I pm you the numbers of my last 2 purchases.

Regards,

Aad

·
Registered
402 Posts
jgauch said:
The list of start years for Seiko movements is in need of updating, so I will need your collective help in bringing the program up to date. My plan is to add a similar CGI that will let SCWF members upload serial numbers and purchase decades for watches that are NOT in my list, and then crunch the numbers to get start dates for movements not on my list.

Cheers,
John

Hi John, I believe that the 4R16 Auto movement was introduced in 2008.

Kevin.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Hi, I am informed by the seller that the 6309-7049 I purchased, with serial number 680394, dates production to Aug. 1986.

When I punch the serial number into the calculator with any decade selected I get August 1976.

Doing my homework shows that the 7049 was produced from 1976 - 1988 so that means it is either one of the first or last but I seriously doubt that it is nearly 40 years old and rather expect that it is a very late example.

I am not sure what this information may mean from the perspective of the serial number database/calculator but I hope it helps - or points out something that someone can tell me about my watch that clears up the confusion.
Obviously no criticism of the calculator but rather an observation and question about the history of my watch.
Best regards,
Will

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
stardotstar said:
Hi, I am informed by the seller that the 6309-7049 I purchased, with serial number 680394, dates production to Aug. 1986.

When I punch the serial number into the calculator with any decade selected I get August 1976.

Doing my homework shows that the 7049 was produced from 1976 - 1988 so that means it is either one of the first or last but I seriously doubt that it is nearly 40 years old and rather expect that it is a very late example.

I am not sure what this information may mean from the perspective of the serial number database/calculator but I hope it helps - or points out something that someone can tell me about my watch that clears up the confusion.
Obviously no criticism of the calculator but rather an observation and question about the history of my watch.
Best regards,
Will
Your movement the 6309 may be one of Seiko's "long life" movements. Most are used for less than 10 years, but a few are used for longer. My production date calculator simply starts at the first year produced, and counts up until the last digit of the year matches the first digit of the serial number. Hence, I will always guess the early date for movements used for more than 10 years.

The only reason I have not fixed this is because getting the "end date" for Seiko movements is even harder than getting the start dates :(

1 - 20 of 95 Posts