The Watch Site banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK This is my first post on here, so please pardon any ignorance of previous posts on the subject. As most are outdated and I was unsure if they were still Valid.

I was given this watch by my dad, it was his first dive watch and he passed it to me. I love it and want to get it back up to snuff.

The Original Lume is pretty much dead so I would love to find either a Seiko oem replacement with new lume or get the dial done, in need of someone to do so please so any recommendations are greatly appreciated.

Also Was looking for any replacement Bezels (Not inserts) but actual bezels for this model? any chance of finding one out there?

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
Welcome, and congrats on the 7549-7010.

Please post some pics!

I thought hard about which tuna to buy, and of all of them I settled on the 7549-7010. Having one with that extra level of meaning would be amazing.

It would be a risky proposition to dive with the watch, so it might be best to think of it as a retired, hardworking piece of equipment.
Like a horse on a farm - years of labor, now out to pasture and easy living from here on out.

As such, even though the lume is shot, unless the watch is molding/unsightly, I'd leave the watch largely untouched (at least dial/case/handset) - and see the bumps/scratches/aging as hard-earned character.

You can always polish/replace/relume later, and you can never undo it once done.
No matter what I'd live with the watch a while before doing anything (except maybe getting the movement serviced, gaskets and possibly crystal replaced) - your perspective may shift on it.

As for a replacement bezel, NOS examples will be hard to come by, but you could buy a donor 7549-7010 which has a nice bezel but is in some other way compromised, swap bezels and sell the donor.
This may be pretty darn cheap if you wait for the right opportunity.

Good luck, and again - pics please!
If the shots of the watch show water intrusion/damage/rot, I'd have a whole different take on which way to go.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Will post pics as soon as the watch is at home today. I have had it taken to a seiko dealer and had all the gaskets replaced and the watch fully serviced and depth tested. And I am being incredibly picky when I say I would like to get a new Dial or re-lume, and for that matter a new bezel as they are both still in gorgeous order!

·
Registered
763 Posts
Awesome to see that you will get the Tuna up and running the same as the day your dad got it. Finding a NOS dial and bezel will be challenging but well worth it. Wear it in good health!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Pictures as Promised

OK So here are some, and Yes I do have the original shroud and it is in great shape i just bought this aftermarket one to try it out and not a huge fan so will be making it look back to original, I have had new NOS hands put on as the originals had normal deterioration. The watch runs like new all on the Original movement. Looking to have the Dial Lumed, as the original is not working well anymore. but this had been my dads off work watch and he liked to wear it for any activity that he wouldn't wear his Seamaster for. When he gave it to me a year ago he had no idea about the following it has and rarity of it haha.

Attachments

·
Registered
7,612 Posts
I think that looks great. Good match with the hands. Personally I'd leave the dial alone.

A relume to simply get it glowing again when there is no real wear to the lume as it is, would be a mistake I think. When it shows severe blackening and blotching then, yes, but as yours is now I think it looks great, and it's original!

A new bezel/insert would be a good mission to go on, but again yours is actually looking pretty good anyway. I expected you to show something a hell of a lot worse!! :)

And yes, I'm not overly keen on the shroud, but that's just my opinion! Be nice to see a pic of the original, shmcanulty?

Oh and good stuff on aquiring it!

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
That is a sweet watch. no way I would take it near the water pressure test or not. The watch is just to nice.
I myself love the Seiko quartz movement series of the 75XX series. They made a 7545, 7546, 7548 7549 and the last in the series was the 7559. Almost every one of these series of quartz watches was used as the power plant for some very nice Seiko divers. The 7546 was used in very early short run Sports 100 diver. The 7548 divers are very collectible then there is the 7559 which yo have which is the most valuable of all of the 75XX quartz movement divers.
Just so you don't driver yourself crazy looking for one Seiko only services the bezel insert as part of the complete rotating bezel assembly. As far as i know every single watch they have ever produced with a rotating bezel the insert has never been a separate service part. You have always had to buy a complete rotating bezel if you happen to put a scratch on your bezel insert.
Even if your dial and bezel are in good condition if you plan on keeping this watch for a long time it never hurts to have some spare parts. If you are going to wear it the rotating bezels seem to take a beating no matter how careful you are and dials will fade over time. If you want to keep your eyes open for spares the Seiko part number for your dial is 7459703L0349 and your rotating bezel assemble is part number 86019621. With the rotating bezel you know you have the whole rotating bezel if the part number starts with 8601XXXX. 8601 is the Seiko base part number for almost all of their rotating dial assembly's especially diver watches.

Michael

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
7549-7010 Original Bezel Insert

I have the original and here it is, I currently have a Newer model insert in. and after looking at others I may actually re-install the original as it is in far better shape than most other tunas I have seen! the Pip lume is dead though :(

Attachments

·
Registered
7,612 Posts
Yup put that on and replace the shroud and put a picture up! I think that will look great.

Didn't realise the one in your first pics was an AM insert. Couldn't quite see but now I see the lume pip triangle is of usual AM parts look.

Also, when I make my old 6105 glow I love how the pip and the dial lume have the same feint glow, proving that it's all original lume yet still shows some energy.

·
Registered
4,380 Posts
Yup put that on and replace the shroud and put a picture up! I think that will look great.
+1

Nice 7549-7010 Tuna and obviously a very special one for you. I would keep it as is with the oem shroud and bezel insert but of course it's your watch and to answer your question I would contact Jack @ IWW http://internationalwatchworks.com/ for a relume or any other work...

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
Have mine on a watchado, looks great and matches my tuna well, came from Aus if I remember years back, but I think other similar bracelets can be had closer to home.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Back to Near Original!

Ok put back on the original Shroud, definitely thinking of having the Original Bezel insert put back on even-though this newer Seiko one is Close to it! also really thinking of one of Howards (Yobokies) inserts! Currently have many Nato straps I wear with this one, Currently have the Seiko Jubilee, but really wanting something with more Heft, like the Strapcode?? Engineer model that is solid?

Attachments

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I also currently have a NOS Hardlex Crystal, and have been told that No Sapphire for this model fits and would cause it to no longer be water tight? (not that I am using this Diving anymore I have other watches and now a new Dive watch computer for that) But I wouldnt want the integrity of the watch to be compromised anyone know if that is true?

·
Administrator
29,507 Posts
I also currently have a NOS Hardlex Crystal, and have been told that No Sapphire for this model fits and would cause it to no longer be water tight? (not that I am using this Diving anymore I have other watches and now a new Dive watch computer for that) But I wouldnt want the integrity of the watch to be compromised anyone know if that is true?
A sapphire fitted correctly will not affect the water resistance one iota imo.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts