The Watch Site banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi
this is my first post on this section and actually one of the firsts in the whole forum. Some weeks ago I got a Seiko Sportsmatic Silverwave that I decided to restore.

This watch is a Seiko 6601 7991, the movement is a Seikosha 2451 automatic, a close friend of the 6601, and was produced in 1964.

The acrylic crystal was broken and it was equipped with a very unattractive rubber strap.

The case and the movement were quite dirty,

However, the overall condition was not too bad: the dial and the hands were in good shape (with the original lume), the case showed some sign of its age (almost 50 years), the internal bezel rotated freely. Unfortunately the case back was extremely polished by the previous owner :mad:

So I proceed in cleaning the movement and the case....

The case back gasket was glued on the case and it took me some time to clean it properly.

I bought a new 341W02AN acrylic crystal on the web, the old one was really unusable

I clean and oil the movement and reassemble the watch

and now I am wearing it with an original 18mm Tropic strap

And this is the end of the story
regards
E

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Another lovely 6601 restoration, the watch really seems to have kept its character beautifully. I'm liking this model more and more, definitely one for the wish list.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks everybody

Another lovely 6601 restoration, the watch really seems to have kept its character beautifully. I'm liking this model more and more, definitely one for the wish list.

I agree with you...it is really a watch I immediately liked, unfortunately it is not so easy to find...:(

regards
E

·
Registered
241 Posts
hi
this is my first post on this section and actually one of the firsts in the whole forum. Some weeks ago I got a Seiko Sportsmatic Silverwave that I decided to restore.

This watch is a Seiko 6601 7991, the movement is a Seikosha 2451 automatic, a close friend of the 6601, and was produced in 1964.

The acrylic crystal was broken and it was equipped with a very unattractive rubber strap.

The case and the movement were quite dirty,

However, the overall condition was not too bad: the dial and the hands were in good shape (with the original lume), the case showed some sign of its age (almost 50 years), the internal bezel rotated freely. Unfortunately the case back was extremely polished by the previous owner :mad:

So I proceed in cleaning the movement and the case....

The case back gasket was glued on the case and it took me some time to clean it properly.

I bought a new 341W02AN acrylic crystal on the web, the old one was really unusable

I clean and oil the movement and reassemble the watch

and now I am wearing it with an original 18mm Tropic strap

And this is the end of the story
regards
E
Amazing story, inspired.. ;)

·
Premium Member
1,715 Posts
I recently pulled the trigger on a Seiko 7625-8961 on ebay. It is about 49-years old. The seller stated that it is running, but no longer keeps good time and the reserve power runs out quickly. The crystal is also quite badly scratched.

I’ve already lined up somebody to service the watch, but before it arrives I wanted to order a new crystal and gasket set (for the back and crown). The trouble is that when I search on Otto Frei I can find no stock Seiko crystal for 7625-8961, and I have no idea which gasket set to order.

I’ve read that the stock crystal was acrylic, and I’d prefer mineral or sapphire anyway. I just don’t know which generic crystal to order. Can someone offer me some guidance.

Thank You

John

1 - 17 of 17 Posts