The Watch Site banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

These are two of the first watches I bought. The black dialed one is a Seiko Spirit SCVS003 and the white dialed one is a SARB035. In comparing these two it seems to me that they are extremely similar, using the same case and movement. The dial is slightly different in terms of writings on it and the position of the lume dots. Otherwise for all purposes they are almost the same identical watch.

At 39 mm of diameter (more or less) they are normal size dress type watches. But in my view they are more. It may be hard to explain but I will try as best as I can. The feel that I get when I pick up one of these watches is something of the upmost quality. The weight, looks, the feel when touching the watches, all communicate high quality. When the watch is on the wrist I can almost feel the beat of the movement being different from the normal Seiko 5 and SKX divers. I don't want to sound esoteric or weird, but I can feel the difference.

As a comparison I had a few Seiko 5 watches which I modded in the past and even recently, they are essentially the same case size and similar looks. However, while the Seiko 5 is nice and quality made, it does not compare one bit to either one of these. In other words, the heft, solidity, fit, finish, looks, reflection, pattern, attention to detail, etc. is superior in any way shape and form. I could say the same if I was comparing these to a Seiko Monster which in my opinion is a very well made watch.

The case back is see through but i don't really care for it much, no one can see it anyway when the watch is on the wrist. The crystal is sapphire while the case back glass is hardlex, I believe. The crown is signed with an S on it, nicely sized, easy to grab, pull, use to adjust the date or time and even to wind the watch. Yes this movement hacks and handwind. It is smooth and solid.

In comparison to other basic Seiko movement it seems more stable and more capable of keeping time with very little variation, no matter the way the watch sits, rests or is stored. It is also easier to adjust in my opinion.

The black dial is deep black, shiny and for the life of me, I can't take a good photo of it. The white one is a little patterned, also it is not really white but more off white or light cream colored. Both are beautiful. The indices and the hands are highly polished and reflect the light incredibly well. Both are easy to read in any condition due to this and the contrast these create with the dial color.

The lume areas are small, just dots on the indices. Close to the bezel for the black Spirit and close to the center for the SARB. Both are bright and last a long time, in keeping with Seiko superior legendary lume quality.

The watches are fairly tall (for a dress watch) at 11 or 12 mm. This is not bad but I have seen larger watches with an ETA movement being thinner. I believe that part of the reason is that the Seiko movement is a bit taller then the general ETA one. The bracelets are exceptional, made with solid link, solid end link and great clasp. The only complaint I have with these is that there are only 2 micro adjustments othe clasp making it potentially harder to find the perfect fit, at least for certain wrist sizes. For example I had to purchase an extra link for both watches to fit my over 8" wrist, however while one bracelet fits almost OK, the other one is either too large (loose) or to small (tight)... I also swapped the bracelets putting the SARB bracelet (oyster) on the Spirit and the Spirit bracelet (multy link) on the SARB model as I liked them better that way. The adjustment is made via the usual Seiko pin and collar type which, while being efficient, is a pain in the rear to do. The collar is so small that it is easy to lose or misplace. I never done it and have all of the parts, but I can see that if one drops on the carpet it could be a major ordeal trying to find it.

Both keep great time within a few seconds per day. I feel these are great watches and a great value if, like me, one get them off the forums from someone who has pre-loved them. They favorably compare to the Steinhart/Debaufre watches as well as the Glycine watches I own. They look a lot like Grand Seikos and for a fraction of the price, they are great fitting replacements for the more expensive brothers.

Please enjoy the pics, sorry for the dust specs and for not being able to capture the full beauty of these watches.

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
Very nice! I, too, own the SCVS003, and I fitted the bracelet from the SARB009 to it. Did you have any difficulty fitting the bracelet? It seems like the hole in the end link doesn't line up with the holes in the case. My watchmaker had to use curved spring bars.

Best,
Myles

·
Registered
747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you very much. I did not have any trouble in fitting the bracelets on either one of the watches, the case seems exactly the same for both. I am not familiar with the SARB009, and I only saw a couple of photos of it to tell if the case has any differences, it almost seems that the lugs are shorter on the 009, but that could be a photographic illusion. Generally speaking the solid end links seem to be a little harder to fit then hollow ones though.

·
Registered
2,504 Posts
Thanks for the write up and nice pictures.

Classic models with a timeless design.

The dial on my SARB021 is hypnotizing to look at but impossible to photograph with an amature set up.

·
Banned
2,919 Posts
Cadionagi said:
I gotta tell you I love that SCVS003 black dial beauty, I want one of those! If you ever think about parting ways with it let me know!

The SARB033 is just as nice or nicer and can still be bought new from Japan.

Here is mine:

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

Note how the hand applied enamel dial color changes to a metallic brown under the direct sunlight....

[IMG]

·
Registered
2 Posts
I've had my SARB033 for a week now and it's a great addition to my collection. I'm pleased with it on a number of levels; the finish is great for a watch at this price point, it's my first watch with a display caseback and I love looking at the movement, it's my first dress watch, the bracelet fits perfectly out of the box and finally the accuracy is very good. I've just uploaded a video to YouTube which show it running alongside my Casio GW-5000-1JF as the reference. After 5 days the Seiko is +20 for an average of +4 per day. COSC performance from the off. I like it.

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
Unfortunately this thread is 3+ years old, so a little out of date.

However there are a couple of recent threads about similar (the same ?) watches by pollyc and enicarracine. Not sure exactly where they are but the search function should help you find them.

·
Registered
5,973 Posts
Yea, Me and Abdulla have the hots for the latest SARB's. They are great watches and if you are going to buy one new mid range dress watch you can not go far wrong with one of these. The JDM watches are a cut above the usual stuff.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts