The Watch Site banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Banned
2,919 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Out of the current Seiko Spirit JDM 8F32 offerings, this is the only one that speaks to me the loudest:

http://www.seiyajapan.com/product/S-SBQK083/SEIKO-Perpetual-Calendar-Quartz-SBQK083.html

What is the general concensus of this model? Yay or Nay?

Like the fact that has sapphire crystal, solid end bracelet links and what seems to be a decent case size.

I have a feeling these 8F Seikos will soon join the ranks of extinct species.

Any comments, pointers, opinions, reviews, etc are welcomed.

·
Banned
2,919 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Isthmus said:
Seems nice and has a very nice movement, but it's not my style. If I was to pic from Seiyas current offerings, I would go for this spirit model:

http://www.seiyajapan.com/product/S-SBPP001/SEIKO-SPIRIT-by-power-design-project-SBPP001.html

Gabe, that is a nice one and has a strong "Speedy" flavor to it. Unfortunately, the 7T62 movement is not high accuracy (One main criteria) and I find this model pricey at over USD $400.

It is a shame the Titanium 8F56 GMT Spirits were discontinued and didn't pull the trigger when I could.

·
Registered
534 Posts
I had a 1999/2000 8F32 ti and was 38mm...a nice watch. Back then, the perpetuals all had the cyclops and proprietary bracelets - a bummer for many potential buyers.
This newer version doesn't grab me style wise, but at least they removed the cyclops and the bracelet can be interchanged. Funny they are still pushing the 8F32 caliber and not the 8F56, which I managed to find used (Landtrek model ti, GMT perpetual...+-20secs/year accuracy!).

·
Registered
4,564 Posts
The only thing I don't like about the one you posted is the case to bracelet size ratio. The watch case just seems too small for that bracelet and lug design.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
It's a nice watch, no doubt. But older Grand Seiko quartz pieces are regularly on the bay and forums from US$700-1,500. I think it would be better to save the extra. GS has better accuracy (genuine HEQ), casework, dials, bracelets and straps are all better, and you get that all-important "Grand" infront of "Seiko". The only thing I am unsure about is whether the 9F series has perpetual calendar. That is a really cool feature.

I know the used GS is 2x the price of the new 8F, but in this case I really think it is worth the extra saving.

·
Banned
2,919 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Jason, I think you make some great points here. This Seiko seemed like an interesting intro to a high accuracy movement, but I think I will heed your recommendation and save my pennies for the real article. I have been considering The Citizen Chronomaster as a likely future purchase. While I can appreciate the excellence of the 9F Grand Seikos, in this category the A660 in the Chronomaster emerges as the clear winner of the contest. The A660 has a perpetual calendar while none of the Seiko 9Fs do.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Frank,

I have a SBQK070 with the same movement. Mine after 2 years is keeping very good time. The last I checked (3 days ago) it was right on with the NIST Atomic Server Time. Your experience may vary, keep in mind I live in a thermocompesated country. LOL! However the finish of this watch isnt as good as SARB or the Automatic Spirits when you examine it under the loupe. The bracelet is alright but those with larger wrist complained that it is too short. I could wear it with one less link. But I find it a lot more comfortable on leather so my bracelet sits in the box now.

Got mine through Katsu san

On leather now

Cheers!

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Any chance you can get a SBQJ015? Looks just as good (a bit less sporty, I think), 8F32 engine and a GMT hand as a bonus.

·
Banned
2,919 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Let me check with Higuchi to see if he still has a NOS SBQJ015 with the 8F56 GMT. I much prefer that one, but unfortunately, that model went out of production. Never hurts to ask.

LUW said:
Any chance you can get a SBQJ015? Looks just as good (a bit less sporty, I think), 8F32 engine and a GMT hand as a bonus.

·
Banned
2,919 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
bullosa said:
Frank,

I have a SBQK070 with the same movement. Mine after 2 years is keeping very good time. The last I checked (3 days ago) it was right on with the NIST Atomic Server Time. Your experience may vary, keep in mind I live in a thermocompesated country. LOL! However the finish of this watch isnt as good as SARB or the Automatic Spirits when you examine it under the loupe. The bracelet is alright but those with larger wrist complained that it is too short. I could wear it with one less link. But I find it a lot more comfortable on leather so my bracelet sits in the box now.

Got mine through Katsu san

On leather now
[img]

Cheers!
[/quote]

Thanks, Daron. That is a nice version. I think the only aspect I didn't like about it was the lack of solid end links.

I think I am going to take a pass on the 8F32, unless, Higuchi happens to have a left over SBQJ015 8F56 GMT still in stock. I am not holding my breath, though.

I keep coming back to the Chronomaster (Substantially more expensive) but the 36mm case size still bothers me. And unfortunately, there is no way for me to see it in person. Even wrist shots are far and few in between.

Seems to me the best hope for a HAQ/HEQ watch will be the upcoming Bulova Precisionists of which I have one pre-ordered. If those watches live up to the pre-launch hype it may well take away my desire to get the Chronomaster altogether. We'll see.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
A used Chronomaster should be around or even under US$100, I think. At that price it would be worth the risk IMO, and would be quite easy to flip at a small loss.

I have a King Seiko which is around 35-37mm. Although it is too small for everyday wear for my tastes, there are times when I suit up, and I feel like wearing something a little bit elegant. It doesn't feel too small then.

·
Registered
964 Posts
minidriver said:
Agreed. The Chronomaster is an expensive watch to order sight unseen.
What's your motivation to wear watches? To be seen? The watches to be recognized?
Well, my humlble recomendation would tahen be to buy a U-Boat or somethinglike that.

I#m a man and I can easily wear watches from 28mm

up to beasts like the 6309-7049 (guess, they have >40mm)
[IMG]

Cheers,

Axel

·
Registered
2,504 Posts
Axel66 said:
What's your motivation to wear watches? To be seen? The watches to be recognized?
Well, my humlble recomendation would tahen be to buy a U-Boat or somethinglike that.

Cheers,

Axel
No Axel...he just means he would feel more comfortable seeing the watch in person before buying it.

·
Banned
2,919 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Axel, I think you misunderstood what I said.

The only aspect of the Chronomaster that I doesn't yet convince me is its case size. I guess after wearing 40mm+ watches one can get used to bigger watches and anything below that will be seen as too small. Aside from that , the Chronomaster is a fantastic watch. The A660 is one of the finest super quartz movements in the world today and its fit and finish go hand in hand with Grand Seiko 9F quartz watches. Unfortunately its Japan only availability makes it difficult to gage its real world dimension and how it would look on the wrist.

Axel66 said:

I#m a man and I can easily wear watches from 28mm

up to beasts like the 6309-7049 (guess, they have >40mm)
[img]

Cheers,

Axel
[/quote]

1 - 20 of 22 Posts