The Watch Site banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've replaced the capacitor/battery in a Seiko Solar Chronometer (V172-0AB0), the watch restarted and I placed it on a window sill for 6 hours to ensure a full charge. However it then only ran for a couple of hours after removing it from the window sill. Replacing it in full sun causes it to start again but clearly is not charging the capacitor which leads me to concude that either the new capacitor is faulty or the watch is not charging it effectively. Any other suggestions/ideas as to a solution please? Thanks.

·
Registered
513 Posts
I had a similar problem with a Kinetic. Sometimes batteries and capacitors are DOA. Replace it again and see what happens.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Researcher
5,213 Posts
Use a voltmeter.

·
Registered
161 Posts
I've replaced the capacitor/battery in a Seiko Solar Chronometer (V172-0AB0), the watch restarted and I placed it on a window sill for 6 hours to ensure a full charge. However it then only ran for a couple of hours after removing it from the window sill. Replacing it in full sun causes it to start again but clearly is not charging the capacitor which leads me to concude that either the new capacitor is faulty or the watch is not charging it effectively. Any other suggestions/ideas as to a solution please? Thanks.
Assuming fitted correctly, perhaps your 6 hours in the sun was not enough for a full charge on a new capacitor?

I've had fully discharged Eco-Drives that took days on the window sill to get going properly again.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Does it run for another couple of hours when removed from a long session in the sun the second time?
I've not worked on the Solars, but on the kinetics the 'capacitor' (ie battery) comes fully charged more or less, so it would last way longer than 6 hours even in a dark room. It may be 'short circuited' if you didn't insulate it properly on installation, luckily they don't discharge instantly when shorted. You may try reinstalling it again ensuring that nothing is touching, and then back out in the sun, but a long term short circuit may have killed the capacitor Good luck. JakeO

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Assuming fitted correctly, perhaps your 6 hours in the sun was not enough for a full charge on a new capacitor?

I've had fully discharged Eco-Drives that took days on the window sill to get going properly again.
Thanks, I have left it for a few days now but no obvious improvement.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Does it run for another couple of hours when removed from a long session in the sun the second time?
I've not worked on the Solars, but on the kinetics the 'capacitor' (ie battery) comes fully charged more or less, so it would last way longer than 6 hours even in a dark room. It may be 'short circuited' if you didn't insulate it properly on installation, luckily they don't discharge instantly when shorted. You may try reinstalling it again ensuring that nothing is touching, and then back out in the sun, but a long term short circuit may have killed the capacitor Good luck. JakeO
Thanks, hadn't considered any risk of shorting it. I sought out as much info as I could on the internet and don't recall seeing anyone mention the risk of shorting the battery -what would cause it to short? I worked on a wooden board, wore latex gloves and tweezers to handle the battery And why would removing and reinstalling resolve things. Cheers

·
Registered
4,099 Posts
Thanks, hadn't considered any risk of shorting it. I sought out as much info as I could on the internet and don't recall seeing anyone mention the risk of shorting the battery -what would cause it to short? I worked on a wooden board, wore latex gloves and tweezers to handle the battery And why would removing and reinstalling resolve things. Cheers
You're incredibly unlikely to have shorted it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts