The Watch Site banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I bought a Seiko SNZH55 some weeks ago. It is a beautiful watch and the only negative think I found is the non manual winding feature.

I read several posts about upgrading the movement with a NH36 and the problems with the stem, crown and central seconds pivot.

First of all, the stem and crown of this watch model are different parts and can be separated as other watches.

I found a 4R36 movement and bought its stem (Seiko part 351.200). The movement came with a white date disc only so it was necessary to swap the day and date discs and the gear for the day disc. I left the movement plastic spacer because it was almost identical. When I placed the movement in the case, the caseback could not be screwed completely because of the movement spacer. It seems like each spacer corresponds to an specific watch case.

Then I realized that the thickness of the 4R36 movement spacer was different. I removed again the day and date discs, two metalic plates of the date mechanism in order to remove the holder. Once I replaced it and installed the movement again it worked perfectly. Now I have a Seiko SNZH55 watch with a 4R36 movement

Attachments

·
Registered
6,156 Posts
wow...very cool...thank u for the great info...this is great news....God Bless,John

·
Registered
5,973 Posts
The SNZH's are great little watches, they look good stock and also are a good basis for modifying, Yobokies also has custom bezels for them. The movement upgrade is a worthwhile upgrade.

·
Registered
36 Posts
mod

Hi, u mentioned the removal of 2 metallic plates at the date day wheel to fit in the movt, mind indicating them on the pic? I am new to this and would like to try. Thank u.

I bought a Seiko SNZH55 some weeks ago. It is a beautiful watch and the only negative think I found is the non manual winding feature.

I read several posts about upgrading the movement with a NH36 and the problems with the stem, crown and central seconds pivot.

First of all, the stem and crown of this watch model are different parts and can be separated as other watches.

I found a 4R36 movement and bought its stem (Seiko part 351.200). The movement came with a white date disc only so it was necessary to swap the day and date discs and the gear for the day disc. I left the movement plastic spacer because it was almost identical. When I placed the movement in the case, the caseback could not be screwed completely because of the movement spacer. It seems like each spacer corresponds to an specific watch case.

Then I realized that the thickness of the 4R36 movement spacer was different. I removed again the day and date discs, two metalic plates of the date mechanism in order to remove the holder. Once I replaced it and installed the movement again it worked perfectly. Now I have a Seiko SNZH55 watch with a 4R36 movement

·
Super Moderator
2,059 Posts
Hi, u mentioned the removal of 2 metallic plates at the date day wheel to fit in the movt, mind indicating them on the pic? I am new to this and would like to try. Thank u.
Remove the day wheel, and you will see a metal shield underneath which is retained by 3 slotted screws and one Posidrive screw, (R/H picture centre row) remove the screws and lift the plate off, it comes off in 2 pieces.
Remove the date wheel and mind the date jumper spring doesn't fly into orbit.
That will allow you to take the movement spacer off and change it over, then reassemble the parts you have removed INC THE METAL PLATES, its the spacer that makes the difference not the date guards (metal plates)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts