The Watch Site banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
By way of saying hi to the forum I share my experience of SNZG11J1.
It arrived well boxed. I bought it in the uk, so I payed over the odds. I tried to find it cheaper but all the places I found it for less than $150 would not sell to EEA. I wanted one so I ended paying 150 GBP for it.
I consider this reasonable because it is just the watch I want to replace my last 'beater' which was a Citizen Eco-drive. I am a one watch person - I buy a watch and then wear it to death. The Eco drive survived me travelling lots and some time working in steel factories and warehouses - I must have replaced the leather strap on it at least 10 times - so I respect that watch and will miss it.
Anyway, on to the SNZG11J1 - a worthy successor.
I took some pics but my phone camera is really bad. There are lots of images available on-line as a google search will show: http://www.google.co.uk/images?q=SNZG11J1

It is a blue dial and blue nylon strap military style Seiko 5 with a 7S36B "23 Jewel" movement. In the first 12 hours out of the box it has gained 7 seconds, Pretty respectable and we shall see how it settles in over time. I may try to get it to within 10spd after I have had it a couple of months.
It feels heavy on my small wrist, but comfortable and not too bulky. It is a nice solid watch. The finish is mostly a nice matte blasted steel with the only polish being the steel surrounding the display on the back and inside the lugs.
The Strap is a very strong nylon, just what I wanted. I was a little worried in advance that I would need to put another hole in the strap for my 17cm wrist - but it is fine and there are holes to fit an even smaller wrist, although I think that for a much smaller wrist the watch would be too big. For me it is just fine.
The whole appearance of the watch is one of simplicity and clean blue style. The numbers and dial are very clear and work well visually with the finish of the watch and strap.
The face is a little cluttered for me, but that is a personal thing - I have never been very keen on the '5' logo. The red tip on the second hand looks good but is not really visible against the blue dial so a bit of a style over function choice there I feel. I also would have thought that a light-on-dark day/date display would have suited the watch better. It does look good as it is though.
The lumibrite dial and hands show up very clearly in the dark - as expected.
I don't know which version of Hardlex is on the face, but it is perfectly flat and very hard looking... ;) . No sign of extra anti-reflective coating. I expect it to hold up well, I don't mind a few scratches.
All in all, I don't really have much to add. It could be summed up as a very satisfactory addition to the Seiko 5 Military range. Looks good, feels good, and you could probably read it across a room in the dark.
I will post some pics when I find a good camera, and maybe update the review with more info when I have worn it for a couple of months.
dM

·
Registered
4 Posts
Are there many version of Hardlex ??
It's a nice watch , I was for a long time in doubt when last year I decided to choose between the SS SNZG05 and SNZG13 , finally I went with the first one although I do like the arab numbers but I found the dial of the SNZG13 a bit too rich . I think that 42mm + crown is the perfect size for me , however I have a smaller 21 JEWELS incoming also .
SEIKO 5 SPORTS line is awesome !

1 - 2 of 2 Posts