The Watch Site banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

There is a SKX031J for sale on eBay UK, what do you think of this? I think it's pretty darn nice! Thoughts?

I'm too new to post links so here is what to search for on eBay:

Seiko SKX031J “Submariner” Diver Automatic Watch 7S26-0050 Made in Japan (rare)

Do you think that's a good price? I have noticed the value of the made in Japan model is indeed going up a hell of a lot in the past year!

·
Registered
4,959 Posts
I can't find it (better post the item # here, not the title), but if it's really the -0050, then that's no SKX031, but an SKX023, the "mid-size" version.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I can't find it (better post the item # here, not the title), but if it's really the -0050, then that's no SKX031, but an SKX023, the "mid-size" version.
Mr. Jones is correct that the 0050 is not the SKX031. Both watch models almost look the same. Below are the differences:

1. Size: The 7s26-0050 or SKX023 is 37mm while the 7s26-0040 or SKX031 is 39mm

2. Chapter ring: The SKX023 has no chapter ring and the minute markers are printed directly on the dial while the SKX031 has a chapter ring. IMHO, the SKX031 looks better.

For other details, please refer to the link below: (warning...viewing will lead to other Seiko discoveries, therefore proceed at your own peril):

http://www.watchsleuth.com/seikodiverfinder/compare/?MOD1=SKX023&MOD2=SKX031

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey there,

First off, that blew my mind! I was completely unaware of the 023!

I've been looking around at the SKX023 as you suggested and I can't seem to locate any that have "Made in Japan" on the dial, is that unusual?

·
Registered
808 Posts
Hey there,

First off, that blew my mind! I was completely unaware of the 023!

I've been looking around at the SKX023 as you suggested and I can't seem to locate any that have "Made in Japan" on the dial, is that unusual?
Made in Japan doesn't mean anything with entry level Seiko watches.
If the watch has it, the distribution was for Japan and Southeast Asia. It it's missing, it was for distribution in other parts of the world.
All of them were made in Singapore, Malaysia and now China.
The 'J' and 'K' designations only indicate the market they are sold into not where they are made.

And just to confuse the issue, there is also an SKX013 model with the crown at 3:18 rather than 3:00...same size as the SKX023.

Any of these models are excellent and will serve the wearer well for decades :cool:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the help gang. That was very informative to say the least! I'm glad I asked!

Have a fab and groovy day!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Tommy Mac, I have the same question. I have read that Seiko has watch cases made in China. Japanese law allows them to describe it as "made in japan" if a Japanese supervisor is in charge of the China operation. Apparently.

Its all marketing I reckon. Money.

gets dummies like me to get interested and buy a Seiko Premier SSA216 based on the delusion that it was "made in japan"...but the stainless steel band has 'China" under the clasp. I bought from a dealer but I feel spoofed because of the half truth in national origin. Pride gone.

Makes me wonder whether the replicas actually advertised as China made are basically 'real' grey market Seikos...

look see

watchespw DOT com/Seiko-Replica-SSA216-watches-3d5a1e.html

watchespw DOT com/Seiko-Replica-SSA245-watches-6v8v4x.html

1 - 12 of 12 Posts