The Watch Site banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone

According to my watchmaker, the gasket in the crown (part#60W01N) of my Seiko Silverwave J12082 has hardened and needs to be replaced in order to pass a water pressure test.

Is there anyway to purchase and replace just the gasket or do I need to buy a new crown? Does anyone sell just the gasket for this crown?

I've actually bought a replacement NOS crown but unfortunately the gasket in the replacement NOS crown was bad too…

Your expertise is very much appreciated!

George

·
Researcher
5,311 Posts
I think you'll have to buy an "o" ring from a seal shop. You'll have to do some measuring of the crown tube and crown, to determine the right size. "o" rings are only a few cents each, normally. You can use an online "o" ring calculator to help with your choice - something like here - http://www.applerubber.com/oring-gland-calculator/

·
Special Member
7,879 Posts
I'm not sure about this advice. Maybe some professionals can chime in. Seems to me the old o-ring, if still fully intact, will do just fine.

·
Super Moderator
3,209 Posts
In my experience, an old, hard gasket has no real chance of sealing the watch from moisture intrusion, so it should be replaced, as your watchmaker noted. Generic assortments specifically meant for watches are available, but inevitably it always seems one must compromise by a few hundredths due to lack of the *exact* size needed, which can translate into a crown that is a little more resistant to turning than usual (better to be over-sized than under- when keeping out moisture long term).
One problem you might run into is that the crown in question is not designed to have the o-ring taken out and replaced. In this case, it is sometimes possible to turn off the burnished lip holding the "non-removable" washer that seals the gasket in place, and then re-burnish the lip over the washer (or make a new one if the old one is destroyed) after replacing the gasket. It is tricky business as one only has a finite amount of lip to work with- it isn't something you can do repeatedly.
Personally, I'd recommend a generic watch crown gasket over one from a non-related field, as the o-ring material hardness can vary from one purpose to the next. Generic gasket fitting can be an art unto itself, but it is one I'd rather not have experience in, genuine is always preferable. I'll stick in an "almost" for you contrarians.

·
Registered
286 Posts
I think Noah has covered it pretty well. I did not attempt to replace the gasket in my watch for the reasons he describes but the one I have in any case still feels reasonably supple and you can feel it gripping the case tube when you turn the crown. My experience with having gaskets replaced in this style of crown is that it can leave the crown looking somewhat sorrier for the experience. Even NOS crowns can have hardened gaskets if they've not been stored correctly. My advice would be to live with it as it is and not to go swimming with it (or do the washing up).

By the way, the Martin of that blog is not Martback, but MartinCRC (i.e. me!).

Martin

It may be worth talking to Martin ( Martback), as he appears to have restored one of his own and may know the part number , or an alternative. http://adventuresinamateurwatchfettling.wordpress.com/2013/10/30/seiko-silverwave-diver-from-1964/

·
Researcher
5,311 Posts
My apologies Martin, no offense meant!!. DOH!

·
Registered
702 Posts
I don't know this model so can't say much about the replacement of this seal.
If i'ts inside the crown, it might be hard to replace, but if it's on the stem so the job is pretty easy.
Anyway, I think Jonathan (Sweadfreak here on SCWF) has a NOS crown.
Contact him via PM or look at his ebay listings (Seller jmk500)

I hope that helps :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts