The Watch Site banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
5,950 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The earliest (pre-62MAS) Seiko divers were snap back design attempts to get themselves established as a underwater sport watch manufacturer. Starting arguably with the earliest of Seahorses but certainly with the J12082 Silverwave in 1961. In 1964 Seiko introduced a second version of this SilverWave with the 2451 = 6601 movement using fewer jewels to sell at a lower price point. This one interestingly became their first countdown timer, as seen in the inner rotating chapter ring. That was the iconic 69799 (later referred to as the 6610-7990) that is featured here.

I have always liked the super early Seiko Silverwave divers and their place in Seiko horology. They are stark, practical, with an old school designed for intended use sort of look witbhout regard to trying to double up and vie for a fashion award. So when this affordable candidate for revival appeared right here on TWS (aka SCWF) in a For Sale post I saw a watch with 'good bones' and as such took the plunge to refurbish. Credit @jamsatoe for a fantastic transaction. The shipment from Indonesia to the USA was fast despite the delays we sometimes see these days and went off without a hitch. Thank you Chemmy !

So we started with this suitable starting point. Movement does not run needs a full service. Hand set in need of a relume. You can see in the second photo the top case was missing the outer silver crystal retaining bezel. I figured that would be my biggest headache and was even prepared to try to 3D print one. Crystal was shot and the generic bracelet a tosser. On the plus side it has the crown and gear/spring/stem assembly and no significant damage or corrosion to what's there. And a pretty strong case back imprint with an early Seiko Tsunami logo which on these models is often worn away with the tides after years of being worn on the wrist. All in all a good project to take on.

So the plan was to swap in a terrific running (single digits seconds per day in multiple positions) movement from this patina'd special J13045

Yes Virginia there is such as thing as a donor watch. Here it is all swapped in and set to go with the little mounting screws all back in place:

For the outer stainless steel bezel (crystal retainer) I knew it would be nearly impossible to get the part and can't even find a casing guide that lists it. So as a first attempt I rifled through my dead watch spare parts bin and - amazingly ! - came up a watch with while using a different 340W crystal it fits well enough to work - the 6119-8160:

OK we are humming along now. Dauphine lumed hands off a modern 7S26 dress watch, a "fun" vintage red pointer sweep hand, a vintage Tropic strap with curved lug ends, new proper NOS vintage 340W02AN crystal installed with a Vintage Time Australia 'wavy ring' to smooth out the operation of the rotating inner ring and the results are actually quite pleasing enough for me.

It's my "Thunder Road 69799" - It ain't a beauty but hey it's alright......and that's alright with me.

·
Premium Member
2,876 Posts
Well, I like it. I even like the (fun) red sweep second hand!
I admit to being a sucker for the early Silverwaves. I can't imagine they were ever very successful for their purpose. But who cares? They certainly have their place in Seiko history as the predecessors of all Seiko divers. Lovely.

·
Special Member
2,641 Posts
The Seiko Silverwave Diver turned out Beautiful. Very hard to find these Dials in good shape and even harder to find all the parts needed to make them run and look good again. Nice move to use a 6619-8160 crystal (never realized it would fit) and the red pointer sweep seconds and vintage tropic strap completes the transformation. Well Done Sir!

Sit tight, take hold, Thunder Road :)

·
Registered
13 Posts
The Seiko Silverwave Diver turned out Beautiful. Very hard to find these Dials in good shape and even harder to find all the parts needed to make them run and look good again. Nice move to use a 6619-8160 crystal (never realized it would fit) and the red pointer sweep seconds and vintage tropic strap completes the transformation. Well Done Sir!

·
Registered
13 Posts
The earliest (pre-62MAS) Seiko divers were snap back design attempts to get themselves established as a underwater sport watch manufacturer. Starting arguably with the earliest of Seahorses but certainly with the J12082 Silverwave in 1961. In 1964 Seiko introduced a second version of this SilverWave with the 2451 = 6601 movement using fewer jewels to sell at a lower price point. This one interestingly became their first countdown timer, as seen in the inner rotating chapter ring. That was the iconic 69799 (later referred to as the 6610-7990) that is featured here.

I have always liked the super early Seiko Silverwave divers and their place in Seiko horology. They are stark, practical, with an old school designed for intended use sort of look witbhout regard to trying to double up and vie for a fashion award. So when this affordable candidate for revival appeared right here on TWS (aka SCWF) in a For Sale post I saw a watch with 'good bones' and as such took the plunge to refurbish. Credit @jamsatoe for a fantastic transaction. The shipment from Indonesia to the USA was fast despite the delays we sometimes see these days and went off without a hitch. Thank you Chemmy !

So we started with this suitable starting point. Movement does not run needs a full service. Hand set in need of a relume. You can see in the second photo the top case was missing the outer silver crystal retaining bezel. I figured that would be my biggest headache and was even prepared to try to 3D print one. Crystal was shot and the generic bracelet a tosser. On the plus side it has the crown and gear/spring/stem assembly and no significant damage or corrosion to what's there. And a pretty strong case back imprint with an early Seiko Tsunami logo which on these models is often worn away with the tides after years of being worn on the wrist. All in all a good project to take on.

So the plan was to swap in a terrific running (single digits seconds per day in multiple positions) movement from this patina'd special J13045

Yes Virginia there is such as thing as a donor watch. Here it is all swapped in and set to go with the little mounting screws all back in place:

For the outer stainless steel bezel (crystal retainer) I knew it would be nearly impossible to get the part and can't even find a casing guide that lists it. So as a first attempt I rifled through my dead watch spare parts bin and - amazingly ! - came up a watch with while using a different 340W crystal it fits well enough to work - the 6119-8160:

OK we are humming along now. Dauphine lumed hands off a modern 7S26 dress watch, a "fun" vintage red pointer sweep hand, a vintage Tropic strap with curved lug ends, new proper NOS vintage 340W02AN crystal installed with a Vintage Time Australia 'wavy ring' to smooth out the operation of the rotating inner ring and the results are actually quite pleasing enough for me.

It's my "Thunder Road 69799" - It ain't a beauty but hey it's alright......and that's alright with me.

Bracelet is not generic. It's unmarked original. Keep it.

Lluís.

Enviat des del meu Redmi Note 8 usant Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,950 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Some clasp photos. It has not been cleaned or straightened or anything.

Clasp mareked
18.8 Stainless Steel (common 304)
EV18010

As-received:
IMG_20200601_094106.jpg
IMG_20200601_093858.jpg

·
Registered
5,950 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Ok so with great thanks to @seikamps I have cleaned, straightened, repaired, cape cod cloth polished and ever so sympathetically brushed the original bracelet. Fitment is a total bear on these old end links after years of torture and becoming bent all over the place.

As received:

IMG_20200601_094106.jpg

Out of a few cycles in the Ultrasonic cleaner, nothing yet but the deep clean. The original brushing in the center link area is starting to show again.
IMG_20200601_111958.jpg

After the Cape Cod cloth and minimal rebrush, a final re-clean (with new cleaning solution!)
IMG_20200601_205420.jpg

Requisite wrist shot:
IMG_20200601_220952.jpg

·
Special Member
2,641 Posts
Bracelet cleaned up well :) I've had a few of the Silverwave Divers on bracelets (not the same original bracelet like this one) and from my experience the end links are never a great fit. The Lugs are Long?

·
Registered
5,950 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Bracelet cleaned up well :) I've had a few of the Silverwave Divers on bracelets (not the same original bracelet like this one) and from my experience the end links are never a great fit. The Lugs are Long?
Correct. It took a long time to get them to this point with a somewhat small gap at the head and a nice pleasing profile sitting up with the lugs. The lug holes are too far from the case for the end links to be snug.

I might well go back to the vintage tropic.

I see people use the snakeskin and beads of rice options. Might try both of those options just to see.

·
Registered
122 Posts
That is a job well done. Easy to justify having a large dead watch spare parts bin when you can resurrect a watch as you have done.

I love those early Silverwaves too and would dearly love one but they are a tad too rich for me at the moment so I'll have to have patience. In the meantime I've made do with some later ones.

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
You can see the same bracelet in NOS condition.,..

Enviat des del meu Redmi Note 8 usant Tapatalk
Wow, spectacular specimens.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Grammarofdesign

·
Registered
5,950 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
You can see the same bracelet in NOS condition.,
Again my thanks. You saved this one from the trash heap.

I can refinish it to give the centers of the links that look. It will be a fun bracelet job.

Marvelous specimens are they yours ?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts