The Watch Site banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I sent my green cocktail time Presage to Seiko for warranty service (the movement stopped running) and it came back with a touched up dial - you can see something on there if the light hits it right and under magnification (magnifying glass+reading glasses...) you can see a couple of paint drops and a v-shaped spot where it has been touched up. I'm guessing the tech scratched it and then fixed it. I'll try to set up a macro shot tomorrow when the sun comes back up.

I want a new dial, gosh darnit, but I worry that it's going to be a battle to get them to do that and not keep trying to "fix" it better.

Has anyone dealt with Seiko service when they've screwed up one thing while repairing something else? Am I going to have a fight on my hands or are they generally pretty good about it?

Thanks!

·
First Lady
3,096 Posts
I sent my green cocktail time Presage to Seiko for warranty service (the movement stopped running) and it came back with a touched up dial - you can see something on there if the light hits it right and under magnification (magnifying glass+reading glasses...) you can see a couple of paint drops and a v-shaped spot where it has been touched up. I'm guessing the tech scratched it and then fixed it. I'll try to set up a macro shot tomorrow when the sun comes back up.

I want a new dial, gosh darnit, but I worry that it's going to be a battle to get them to do that and not keep trying to "fix" it better.

Has anyone dealt with Seiko service when they've screwed up one thing while repairing something else? Am I going to have a fight on my hands or are they generally pretty good about it?

Thanks!
Well, that’s disappointing. I’ve never dealt with them, except to order parts. I will say they were very helpful and friendly. I’d call them, and let them know you noticed they must have scratched the dial and tried to repair it, and it looks like crap. Then just tell them that you want them to replace the dial. Start off nice, and see how it goes. That’s what I’d do.

Kat

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Special Member
9,215 Posts
The issue here is whether or not they have any spare dials back in their central warehouse. I checked and they do not have any in their New Jersey warehouse right now. Once the dials are all gone, they are all gone. Not sure what their resolution would be at that point.

·
Special Member
9,215 Posts
Sorry to hear about this.

The prevailing consensus here is NEVER send your Seiko to a Coserv service center. We have heard these negative experiences frequently over the years.
Much like this one, there are too many to count:

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sorry to hear about this.

The prevailing consensus here is NEVER send your Seiko to a Coserv service center. We have heard these negative experiences frequently over the years.
I normally wouldn't have, but the watch was still under warranty - the movement crapped out after less than 2 years.

·
Special Member
9,215 Posts
Glad to see faith in Seiko Service Center giving them a chance to make things right.

Yes there are a million bad stories out there all true but they take care of us well too and in those cases it seems no one posts since it's not a reason to share.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Glad to see faith in Seiko Service Center giving them a chance to make things right.

Yes there are a million bad stories out there all true but they take care of us well too and in those cases it seems no one posts since it's not a reason to share.
Mistakes happen - I'm more than willing to give them a chance to make it right. So far so good.

I am a little surprised that the home office hasn't done more to clean up the operation in New Jersey. The reviews that are out there can't be great for their reputation, especially as they try to move up the food chain. Do Grand Seiko customers (in particular) have to use the same service center? A $300 Presage is one thing, but I can't imagine sending them a many thousand dollar luxury watch and having it returned in similar condition.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts