The Watch Site banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
L

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Author td160

The Seiko Sports 200 Alarm Chrono. I purchased it new in 1997. Little did I know at the time that Seiko was phasing this model out of production. Caliber: 7T32. The oscillator frequency is 32,768 hz.
My example keeps within 3 sec/month or less. I can't recall if it is a fast or slow 3 seconds. I'm not concerned. To me this seems accurate enough for the money spent. It has a screw back, but the crowns at 3 o-clock and 4 o-clock do not screw down. My price was $350 at a mall jewelry store. The sales lady said that "list" was a little higher. I can't recall. But I do recall seeing this model sell on the internet for around $180.00 usd a couple of years later at places like www.wristwatch.com. I presume those were close-out prices.

http://www.theanalogdept.com/sdwa89.htm
Link above to my website for more detailed photos and some comments. I'm not a dealer.

I'm not a reviewer. Yet, since I have this much time with the watch, I can recount what it is like to live with. I think what sold me in the first place was its functions and appearance. With its heavy bezel and flat crystal it is a watch that, as you look upon its face, suggests depth. You can 'look into' the thing. The luminous numerals, markers and hands light up strongly in darkness. Sunlight or lamplight is all that is necessary to charge its luminescence. I see a number of current Seiko 'dive' models that have similar qualities.

The SDW A89 is not as large as many watches are today, yet it wears heavy. The bracelet has a safety clasp. I've had no bracelet failures in the 12 years that I have owned it... but it has stretched quite a bit. I've compensated by adjusting the length shorter. Still, there is a flexibility and tendency to drape uncomfortably that it did not have when new. At this point I prefer to allow some slop in the band against my wrist as opposed to tightening it up. The watch moves around.

In my line of work, the watch doesn't take any real impact or repetitive scraping. I have a few other watches to share time keeping duty. A couple of Pathfinders and a Suunto. By alternating between these for everyday wear, I reduce wear and tear on all of them. Yet the Seiko has its scars from me brushing against this or that surface. There is one light scratch across its Sapphlex crystal from when I bumped it into the corner of a granite inspection plate. But for the most part, the raised bezel shields the crystal from most scratch hazards.

Battery life is about 5 to 7 years. I've had the battery replaced twice. Once in summer 2001 and again in summer 2007. Because of its professed water proof/dive capabilities, I've always taken it to a certified watch retailer who could pressure test the seal. However, now that I think about it, I wonder if this wasn't a good thing. Could it be that the effects of the pressure test could actually compromise the sealing on a cheap dive watch like this model?

use pattern:
I use the alarm daily when I wear it. The stop watch......not so much. I've never taken it swimming and I am not a scuba diver. I just think watches with those capabilities are "cool". I used to clean the watch by holding it under the faucet and run warm water over it. Not anymore. I just wipe it down with a moist paper towel.

Btw, setting the alarm on this model is fun. It involves pulling out 2 clicks the small crown at the 4 o-clock position and then rotating the hands of the alarm sub-dial until they match the position of the hands on the main watch face, thus synchronizing the alarm with the watch, next it involves pushing a button at the 8 o-clock position that runs a stepper motor that turns the hands clockwise within the 'alarm sub-dial' until the button is manually released by me at the appropriate time set position. Next again a small crown on the opposite side, at 4 o-clock, can be 'pulled' out 1 click to "cock" the alarm, at which time the hands of the alarm subdial motor themselves to the alarm setting. The alarm goes off when the main watch reaches the time set within the alarm sub-dial. The volume level of the alarm is adequate for me when awake. Not always when asleep.

The unidirectional rotating bezel functions like a count-down. However the bezel has become tight and takes some serious effort to rotate it these days. I just leave it be.

reliability:
The pusher at 2 o-clock has been malfunctioning over the past year. It seems to be getting worse, making the stop watch function unreliable. I'm hoping that I can find a watchmaker that is familiar enough with Seikos to be able to restore this watch for another 12 years.

If any of you have experience and or further info regarding the SDW A89 I'd love to hear of it. I've seen one mention to this model as being a "military" model. However I have nothing other than heresay to reference that.

In the meantime I'm awaiting delivery of another Seiko; model No. SKZ211. It is coming from Singapore so I gather that is where it has been manufactured. This model is the so-called "Land Shark". It will be a departure for me. I've had nothing but quartz watches since the seventies when they appeared. SKZ211 is an inexpensive automatic, again with water proof capabilities and the gadgetry of a compass. I'm aware of the gimmicky nature of the compass, but think it has a "cool" look and should be fun. That plus it is another watch that will take some load off the others in my humble collection that get semi-daily use.

Thanks for allowing me to share...

1 - 1 of 1 Posts