The Watch Site banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So here is my first watch review and the subject is my Seiko SCBS005, also known as the discus burger.

Overview
- Designer: Tomoko Tomita
- Automatic self-winding movement Calibre 6R15
- 50 hour power reserve
- Average accuracy between +25 seconds from -15 seconds per month
- 10Bar water resistant
- Diameter: 41mm
- Lug to lug: 47mm
- Thickness: 14.3 mm
- Weight: 70 g (without strap)
- Leather Strap
- Hardened Stainless Steel case
- Hardlex crystal

Case
The front and back of the case is made of stainless steel. The sides and the lugs are made of some black material. I'm not sure what the black material is but it is probably pvd.
What I love about the case is that the attention of the viewer gets drawn to the round case. This is caused by the black lugs which match the black strap quite nicely. This creates the appearance of lugs being part of the strap rather than being part of the case.
The crown is unsigned and a bit on the small size. It can be handled good enough due to the notch on the wrist side part of the case as can be seen in this photo:

Dial
The dial is completely covered by the hour, minute and second discs of which only a small part can be seen through the 14mm circle of clear glass:

The rest of the dial is also visible through the frosted glass which covers the rest, but it is not really readable.
Here is a photo of the three discs:

There is a small notch in three discs at 9 (hour-disc), 45 (minutes-disc) and 45 (seconds-disc). This is for alignment purposes.

Movement
Unlike what people sometimes comment, this watch is not a jump hour watch. The hour disc moves smoothly just like a normal hour hand instead of jumping instantly 1 hour ahead when reaching the full hour.
The movement used is a Seiko 6R15 which can be found in many other Seiko Models.
It hacks, handwinds and has a heartbeat of 21,600bph.
The movement also has a date feature which is not used in this model. Though you can pull the crown out in the date mode if you like, but that is useless.
The back of the watch has the same design as the front. This means that most is frosted glass and the movement is only visible through a small circle of clear glass.

Strap
The strap is a simple leather one and has a deployment buckle.
It connects to the case without leaving room between the case and the strap.
The strap is nicely curved. This means however that the watch can't be put flat on a surface.

Seiko Moving Design Collection
This watch is part of the Seiko Moving Design collection which won a Good Design Award in 2007.
The collection consists of several models, like:

There were some more models (a mixture of the above models) which were made as limited editions.
Another one was this hefty full SS version:

Final thoughts
I have this watch for about half a year now and I really like it.
It is not perfect because I would have liked it to have a real jump hour movement and a bit bigger crown but due to its unique and interesting design it is definitely a keeper for me.
It is also the only watch in my collection which starts conversations ;). People do see it and wonder what it is.

Oh, and about the nickname…..don’t think I have to explain that one :grin:

Last but not least, here is a wristshot:

·
Registered
17 Posts
Great review!

Thank you for the great review. I have a limited edition rose gold tone Burger which I bought with Seiya-san's help (Yahoo Japan auction). I like the watch so much so that it has been sitting in my winder since I acquired it in 2012 (don't want any scratches, silly me) :eek:

Attachments

·
Registered
19 Posts
Nice to see a review of the Seiko Discus a good few years after it’s release.
I admire Seiko for pushing their design ideas through the Moving Design Project.
Wish they would continue this series.
Here’s a pic of my Black Limited Edition Discus released by Tic Tac in Tokyo.

Sadly, my Discus doesn’t get much action. However, your post prompted me to take it out for some loving.
Cheers,

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you for the great review. I have a limited edition rose gold tone Burger which I bought with Seiya-san's help (Yahoo Japan auction). I like the watch so much so that it has been sitting in my winder since I acquired it in 2012 (don't want any scratches, silly me) :eek:
Noooo, wear it!

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Nice to see a review of the Seiko Discus a good few years after it’s release.
I admire Seiko for pushing their design ideas through the Moving Design Project.
Wish they would continue this series.
Here’s a pic of my Black Limited Edition Discus released by Tic Tac in Tokyo.

Sadly, my Discus doesn’t get much action. However, your post prompted me to take it out for some loving.
Cheers,
Thanks, glad to be of help
Nice black LE. I also wish they would continue that project or start a new one. Don't remember any unique or differently models of recent times.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Seiko discus

That's a good looking watch. I have it's black dialed brother. I remember reading somewhere that seiko only made 200 of these.

·
Registered
837 Posts
Just like the jump hour of old. Mimicking digital quartz movement using mechanical movements. Still timeless.

Thanks for the review and pic shares.

Kind rgds
Jef

1 - 10 of 10 Posts