The Watch Site banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it only me or has someone else noticed about the dial of the new L.E. Seiko SBDC027.

First of all, this watch is good looking. Looks like a Marinemaster because of the size, bezel, crown and hands. Also the dial looks like a 62MAS. To simply put it, its like the offspring of the MM300 and 62MAS (put together). Of course, having good genes would mean good looks. The result is classic beauty :) I like the SBDC027 :13:

Now here is my problem, after looking at the dial for a long time, I noticed that the hour markers are too curved or rounded. As I stared at the markers longer, I begin to realize that the markers look like the markers of an 62MAS or 6105 aftermarket dial :eek:

Am I right? or I am just too "vintage" biased. Maybe i was just expecting that the markers would have sharp or straight edges and corners :undecided: For me rounded or curved edges would look great if the markers were shaped into a circle..like the ones used in the MM300. But for the rectangular markers, I think it would look nice if the edges are straight or sharp.

I do hope someone could post pics in this thread (still figuring out how to post pics...sorry) I would appreciate it so that everyone can give their opinion on this issue :eek:hmy:

Why Seiko? :91: The watch is good looking. I just could not bear or understand why the markers look similar to aftermarket dials.

I really do hope its just me....with a poor eyesight and bad perception :confuse:

·
Ultimate Collector
3,295 Posts
A very nice looking watch. I think the hour markers and the hands look great. I like it a lot.

·
Special Member
5,242 Posts
Hi asap3! Welcome to the forum. I have nothing to say but that there's nothing wrong with your perception and that your observations are very sharp (no pun intended). Very interesting.

·
Special Member
4,563 Posts
hmmm....

looks kind of cheap to me compared to a 6105 dial.... don't get me wrong, it's just that Seiko already showed that they are able to do this much better....

·
Special Member
5,242 Posts
You guys make good points. Seiko could have done a little better by making the metal borders with sharp corners and flat surfaces!

·
Registered
235 Posts
Seiko New Lineup-
Seiko,& Soccer Star at NYC,NY Showcase -Landon Donovan is taking over the Seiko Boutique on Madison Avenue,510 Madison Avenue
between 52nd & 53rd in NYC on Thursday March 12 @ 6PM and you’re invited!
Here are the New Seiko models on sale in USA-http://seikousa.com/gallery/-very impressive collection and I like it.Some of these 2015 Seiko watches recall models from the past that the older guys will recognise and marks for me why I think Seiko just makes great watches and timepieces of all styles and models.Seiko is going for the winning goal with their New product line and a chance to see star Landon Donovan is a soccer fans treat.Seiko gives us a win,win here and there will be some soccer fans there for sure.
Well done Seiko.More-http://seikousa.com/seiko-nation/meet-landon-donovan/-
Eli ForSeiko-

·
Special Member
5,242 Posts
Seiko New Lineup-
Seiko,& Soccer Star at NYC,NY Showcase -Landon Donovan is taking over the Seiko Boutique on Madison Avenue,510 Madison Avenue
between 52nd & 53rd in NYC on Thursday March 12 @ 6PM and you’re invited!
Here are the New Seiko models on sale in USA-http://seikousa.com/gallery/-very impressive collection and I like it.Some of these 2015 Seiko watches recall models from the past that the older guys will recognise and marks for me why I think Seiko just makes great watches and timepieces of all styles and models.Seiko is going for the winning goal with their New product line and a chance to see star Landon Donovan is a soccer fans treat.Seiko gives us a win,win here and there will be some soccer fans there for sure.
Well done Seiko.More-http://seikousa.com/seiko-nation/meet-landon-donovan/-
Eli ForSeiko-
So, can we submit our recommendations to seiko in regards to this particular dial at this event? Lol, just kidding, had to do it you were open.

That's cool, I wish I lived in the area because I would go for sure.

·
Registered
SEIKO 6105-8110 150m Diver PROOF
1,101 Posts
IMO it looks good in steel. Nothing wrong with the round index frames. It's the same as those in SBDX MM300 and modern Rolex. Watch below is not mine. :)

·
Special Member
5,242 Posts
IMO it looks good in steel. Nothing wrong with the round index frames. It's the same as those in SBDX MM300 and modern Rolex. Watch below is not mine. :)

That's a good point, valid. It could in reality be quality craftsmanship, it just resembles the cheap aftermarket dials. Imo

·
Ultimate Collector
3,295 Posts
I do see what you mean about the dial. But there is a world of difference between a fake 6105 dial, and the quality dial offered here.

·
Special Member
5,242 Posts
I do see what you mean about the dial. But there is a world of difference between a fake 6105 dial, and the quality dial offered here.
You are right, I agree. I should have said; "at first glance or to the uneducated eye" it resembles the cheap aftermarket dials.
Good eye Jim!

·
Ultimate Collector
3,295 Posts
I must be looking at a different watch to some of you. This is a great looking watch, well balanced design, and a 6R15 movement. What's not to like?

·
Special Member
5,242 Posts
I personally like it, mainly because of font size on new bezel insert. Always loved the sumo case design.
And if they ever offer it with an orange dial, oh boy...

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
As what I have said, this is a beautiful watch. Balanced, good sized and well proportioned. To me, it is better looking than the Sumo and Shogun. :s_good:

What bothers me is how the markers look. I know they are made of good quality materials and craftsmanship. What I don't like is that the hour markers remind me how a 6217 aftermarket hour markers look like. :16:

I hope someone can post a pic of an aftermarket 6217 dial so that we can compare.

Its still a nice watch...maybe it could have looked better if they stuck on how they used to make hour markers..like the ones they used with the 6105 and 6217 :72:

In the end, its all about the wearer's preference :08:

·
Special Member
5,242 Posts
As what I have said, this is a beautiful watch. Balanced, good sized and well proportioned. To me, it is better looking than the Sumo and Shogun. :s_good:

What bothers me is how the markers look. I know they are made of good quality materials and craftsmanship. What I don't like is that the hour markers remind me how a 6217 aftermarket hour markers look like. :16:

I hope someone can post a pic of an aftermarket 6217 dial so that we can compare.

Its still a nice watch...maybe it could have looked better if they stuck on how they used to make hour markers..like the ones they used with the 6105 and 6217 :72:

In the end, its all about the wearer's preference :08:
Ah,,, screw it! Let's get one!
Who has the best prices on these, does anyone know?

·
Registered
100 Posts
Best bet actually might be in the USA Seiko boutique (if not hunting one down at Japanese retailer) if you can get there. At least they'll be MSRP ($800). The prices online were as low as $5xx in Japan but it's now seemingly sold out (or just keep watching Seiya and Chino to see if they come back into stock, in the $6xx range). Rakuten/AmazonJP sellers are all much higher now.

-Slonie

·
Registered
100 Posts
Or just wait for somebody to flip theirs on the forum. There was one on WUS for $600 out the door in the first few days it was on sale, when the Internet was still nitpicking photos. Somebody got a deal!

-Slonie

1 - 20 of 23 Posts