The Watch Site banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is a shot of my Seiko SBDC-001 aka the Sumo. The number on this watch dates the production date from July of 2007. I bought the watch in September of 2007 as a birthday gift to myself which means the watch will be three years old this summer. This watch has been a daily wearer pretty much. My two other watches are a vintage 6139 6005 that I only really take out on 'special' occasions and a little Seiko military style watch that gets used as my 'beater' watch for construction work or playing baseball etc. The Sumo gets worn all the rest of the time. I have had this watch adjusted by Seiko Canada twice under warranty. The first time the watch was running about 7 seconds fast a day. I asked Seiko Canada to tweek it for me to get it running a little closer to +-0 a day. After that adjustment the watch came back running 7 seconds slow per day. I had the watch regulated a second time and got excelllent results. I'm not sure if the second adjustment was the fix of if the movement has just settled but the watch deviates plus or minus 5 seconds per month! I know that's sort of hard to believe but I swear that the watch deviates so little that I haven't bothered to adjust the time in three months now. My experience with the 6r20 movement has been very good, I think it's a pretty good movement. The watch itself has held up well. The watch has a scratch on the bezel between 10 and 12 o'clock and a couple of small dings on the watch case. The bracelet is full of swirlies but is still solid. I keep on thinking about upgrading to a MM300 but considering how well this watch is working I find it hard to justify the change.

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
The Accuracy is Amazing I don't understand, I Know what you are saying is Gospel Truth That is better then the
Highest VFA Specs Better then all Vintage Grand Seikos 45 ---57--61-- and yet I have a 6105-8000 that PETE K in AU Built
the Mvt and it is few secs a Day also 6105s that Jack did servicing on Run 5-6 secs a day???

What is it I don't understand, it's not just me?? Clayton has the same results from Jack and Pete and Tiger JOHN Adjusted his Harry 6105-8119
to 3 sec a day? 40 yr old Seikos??
I think the Sumo is second to none in Bang for the Buck, I don't think a MM would give better accuracy Lol

I don't think any thing will Really????

PLEASE tell me, do you wind her at all?

·
Banned
2,919 Posts
Seikozen said:
The Accuracy is Amazing I don't understand, I Know what you are saying is Gospel Truth That is better then the
Highest VFA Specs Better then all Vintage Grand Seikos 45 ---57--61-- and yet I have a 6105-8000 that PETE K in AU Built
the Mvt and it is few secs a Day also 6105s that Jack did servicing on Run 5-6 secs a day???

What is it I don't understand, it's not just me?? Clayton has the same results from Jack and Pete and Tiger JOHN Adjusted his Harry 6105-8119
to 3 sec a day? 40 yr old Seikos??
I think the Sumo is second to none in Bang for the Buck, I don't think a MM would give better accuracy Lol

I don't think any thing will Really? ???

PLEASE tell me, do you wind her at all?

Try Spring Drive my friend ;)

·
Registered
443 Posts
I keep on thinking about upgrading to a MM300 but considering how well this watch is working I find it hard to justify the change.....

Please don't cuz you will be disappointed. Usually MM is running 20/s per day.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
I'll join the Sumo love-in! O0

I never wear mine for more than a few days at a time. The few times I've bothered to time it I've never noticed it drop a second. Seriously. +/-0 in 3 days.

Some people denigrate the 6r15 because it is based on the 7s26 and has a lowly 21,600 bph rate. But I like it. And don't forget the IWC perpetual calendar is based on the 7750 ;) .

We all gotta start somewhere!!! ;D

·
Registered
688 Posts
FYI, I just timed my 1973 6105, serviced by Ken Setser, and it gained 1 sec. over ten days, with no more than 1 sec. variation per day. I probably should have worn it a whole month, but wanted to switch to a chrono. The older 6000 series movements are capable of real accuracy, easily on par with their Swiss contemporaries. Here's the watch:

·
Registered
152 Posts
Sumo love in it is! I've got the blue dial version I bought used off this forum. I bought it head-only and put a vintage 20mm black Tropic strap on it and liked it, but always thought the bracelet would be better- so I bought a new one and wore it a while- but found it heavy, so tried a few other options and settled back to the vintage Tropic. The watch was running +15 seconds or so per day, so I opened the back and played with the adjustment a bit and got it so it now runs pretty much spot on- it gains or loses a few seconds a day, depending on how long I leave it and in what position overnight. It is my daily wearer- I swim in the sea whenever weather permits and snorkel, but haven't scuba dived for years. The lume on this watch is extraordinary- I can read it on the bedside table at night without my glasses. The quality of the watch is fantastic for anything near the price- it really is a bargain. If mine got hit by lightning I'd buy another in a flash- head only if I could and definitely the blue, which is just a bit different- hell, everybody has a black diver. I've lusted for a MM300 and truly wish I'd bought one when they were around $1200 a few years ago- but honestly, I just can't justify the additional expense and don't need the 300m water resistance. I've scratched my crystal and bought a sapphire replacement which I must get around to putting in- I'll be interested to see if the AR coating on the inside makes the already very legible dial any more so. Final score for the Sumo is 5/5- I really can't recommend it enough. But I'd still like to see an MM300 just to satisfy my curiosity.

·
Registered
862 Posts
How do you guys go about timing your watches? I know I should know this, but really, can someone tell me the process. I want to time my MM300 and my Sumo for a month each.

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
Hi Jay
I time mine by winding her maybe 10 winds Set her Exactly, on time and see at the end of the day??? then over night , different Positions But never more then a few days.

I really just want to see that She is Keeping Time, and as so many Report the amazing accuracy of the 6XXX Series and the Sumo Mvts 6r

The only other way I use is on a Winder but I'm not sure my OLD WOLF winders are working as well as the could. They keep the watch Running so I guess they really ARE?

Also as one said I have a 6309 that KEN did three years ago, and today she keeps amazing Time??

I find having a Hand wind /Auto that Hacks makes Timing easy.

·
Registered
222 Posts
gamboge said:
Sumo love in it is!...The watch was running +15 seconds or so per day, so I opened the back and played with the adjustment a bit and got it so it now runs pretty much spot on- it gains or loses a few seconds a day....The quality of the watch is fantastic for anything near the price- it really is a bargain....Final score for the Sumo is 5/5- I really can't recommend it enough. But I'd still like to see an MM300 just to satisfy my curiosity.

It was this post that made me decide to go get the Sumo. Best Seiko purchase to date and feel really lucky to wear such a nice piece.

Here is a shot of it on the MM rubber strap, which I think is nigh perfect. I bought mine at a good price from a WUS'r and it had been poorly attempted to brush the entire case. I mis-jugded his text so was stuck with it, and decided to re-finish it, and while it would likely sell at a loss, I love it too much to ever part with it regardless. I'm thinking a MM dial and hands would be a good mod for this. I plan to add the blue one in the future.

Anyway...

[img]

[quote=Jan-10]
How do you guys go about timing your watches? I know I should know this, but really, can someone tell me the process. I want to time my MM300 and my Sumo for a month each.
[/quote]

Same question here...what do you guys prefer to time it against?

Best,

Mike

·
Registered
152 Posts
First, congratulations on buying your Sumo- I'm sure you won't be disappointed. Second, as I posted recently, change the crystal to an aftermarket Sapphire with the AR coating on the inside- just do it! It is fantastic. And finally, here in Australia we have the Australian Broadcasting Corporation (ABC) radio which broadcasts 6 pips on the hour just before the news- I was told by someone at the ABC the 5th pip is the exact 0 second, but that seems weird- but in any case, this is set to the Bureau of Standards and is supposed to be used for setting maritime and aircraft chronometers- so that's what I use as a reference for setting my watches.

·
Registered
12,319 Posts
I time them with www.time.gov

I see the difference in seconds when I start, and check 24 hours later, then 48 hours etc...
that cycle includes wearing it and resting while I am sleeping.

·
Banned
2,919 Posts
At present I have 3 radio controlled watches (Soon adding a 4th one) and 1 Seiko digital radio controlled table clock, so setting the correct time on my mechanicals is not a problem :)

Typically I am not a diver watch type of guy, but I have to say that I really like the Sumo (Make mine blue over bracelet please). I think it is a very nicely finished watch. I also like the MM300, but quite frankly, I do not see my self at this stage paying that much money for a high end diver, so the Sumo appears to be a happy compromise.

I have a couple of 6r15 Seiko SARB watches and I am very happy with the performance of the movement. It is what it is, a robust and reliable mechanical calibre with very good accuracy and good features for the money (hack and hand wind).

I have also been lured by the Seiko Prospex 8F35 quartz diver. -/+20 secs per year, perpetual calendar, 8 year battery and 200m WR are nothing to sneeze at for under $300. The 8F35 diver and the Sumo are 2 different beasts but I find that they both relate to each other in very interesting ways. I lack a diver at present in my small collection so one of them would have to be. :-*

·
Banned
2,919 Posts
Time said:
I time them with www.time.gov

I see the difference in seconds when I start, and check 24 hours later, then 48 hours etc...
that cycle includes wearing it and resting while I am sleeping.

I have found with my Seiko SARBs that leaving them with the crown up at night the movement slows down and resting flat face/dial up, speeds it up.

Works like a charm.

·
Registered
2,504 Posts
Jan-10 said:
Jay...like the others described, you can hack your Seikos to match your reference. You can use time.gov or an atomic watch for long measures or just any old quartz watch for shorter periods.

Non-hacking movements are just a little more of a challenge. I'm not one to "back-hack" a non-hacking movement, so what I do is hack a quartz to match the mechanical and just measure the difference like normal.

If you want to get crazy, you can keep a log of the difference from the reference along with any notes of how worn or position rested in. This is a little much for me but others like to do it. I usually just take a measure for a couple of days when new to get an idea of the performance and then not bother again.

·
Registered
147 Posts
seikomatic said:
I keep on thinking about upgrading to a MM300 but considering how well this watch is working I find it hard to justify the change.....

Please don't cuz you will be disappointed. Usually MM is running 20/s per day.

I hope you are not serious. 20s/day for MM is terrible. All my 7S26/36 are better than that.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts