The Watch Site banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have always liked Big watches and early on in my WIS collection i was recommended the Sawtooth by Zoodles. He is a big fan of the tuna can styled quartz diver. He even had a caption at the end of every post - "Making the world a better place one Sawtooth at a time" LOL! Initially i was not that attracted to Sawtooths as there wasnt that much interest in them on SCWF. Maybe it is due to the quartz movt or even it's blingy bracelet or smallish hands.
Eventually i caved in to my curiosity and decided to break away from the herd mentality. I also consider it as a cheaper alternative to the 300M Tuna Can which i was lusting over (but a tad too expensive)
So i grabbed the Blue Sawtooth from the bay. Boy, the quality and feel of the Sawtooth really blew me away

The build quality and finish feels better than the Monster and the solid SS bracelet rivals the Monster's easily. It is wider than the Monster but actually feels sleeker and have a lower profile due to the sloping case design. The bezel turns smoothly with high quality clicks. The knurled crown also looks and feels good to turn. Not that you need to turn it often with the 7N36 quartz movt.

Bad points
Like all quartz movts, sometimes the second hands do not line up exactly with the markers. But i am not that particular.
The bracelet is a tad blingy and a magnet for smudges and fingerprints
Hands are a tad small but does not bother me.

Overall the Sawtooth is a great watch definitely worth buying, wearing and collecting

Since there have been increased interest in Sawtooths lately, i have decided to share with forum my Sawtooth collection

My first Sawtooth. The Blue Sawtooth SHC057P1

Note the sleek profile and knurled crown

Next to an OM

The Blue Sawtooth was so good, i had to get another one.
The black faced Sawtooth,SHC 063. This model comes with a Z22 rubber strap. The side vents are u-shaped and slightlt different from the curvy side vents of the normal z22 Seiko rubber strap. The Sawtooth rubber strap was a killer and bugged me no end. I tried a couple of different straps for it
The SHC063 with the original rubber strap.

With grey Nato nylon strap. Gives the watch a very tool'ish appearance and feel IMO

Finally found the right strap. A black Morellato Cordura strap bought in Kuala Lumpur. It is a 22mm strap that i squeezed into the 20mm lugs.

The SHC059 or orange face Sawtooth also came to be in my possesion. But this baby just sits pretty in its box, bracelet atill unsized. This model has a blck TiCn? bezel. Have not yet look for a suitable strap for it yet. An orange nato strap maybe? or a black leather strap with orange trimmings/stitching ?
The SHC059P1

We come to the final member of this humble series of large divers.
SHC061P1 or the carbon fibre faced version. It has a black bezel as well.
With advice from Stratman, i hunted down a carbon fibre De Rivoli strap and placed it on this beauty. It looks good with carbonfibre strap IMO.

All of them together

Mega Wrist Shot LOL!

Some final glamour shots

Thanks for looking. Hope you have enjoyed this trip down Sawtooth lane .
Lets see your Sawtooths as well

Cheers
Badern

·
Registered
27 Posts
Nice collection of Sawtooths! ;) TBH, i'm not a fan of quartz watches, especially those with a ticking second hand. It was not until i came across an actual piece in the flesh that i changed my mind. If one can get over the mental block of accepting a quartz watch, the Sawtooth is a nice piece to add to anyone's collection. Its has a nice design, great build quality, awesome lume and its very affordably priced. It sits flat and wears comfortably on the wrist. The unidirectional bezel turns very smoothly (even better than a Rolex :-[ ), one of the best that i've ever come across. The only gripes i have would be to have a SS bracelet without the shiny portions (though thankfully the sides of the bracelet are not polished) and wider hands. Here's some pics of my Sawtooth ...

The glow is visible even in a lit environment!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Great review Badern. The Sawtooth is a great watch. The lume is great and dial is beautiful. The shroud angles are cool. The only thing I did not like about it is the original bracelet or the original stiff rubber strap. I wanted a day date diver that hacks and quartz is the only way for Seiko. My second hand tracks fairly accurate. Here is mine on 24mm rubber strap. I ordered a Super OysterII bracelet but it hasnt arrived yet.

·
Registered
242 Posts
My new orange Sawtooth has been getting a lot of wrist time lately. I've read all the hype regarding the lume and wanted to say if I hold the watch under a light before bed, it is still glowing 7 hours later. I am very impressed!

andy b.

·
Registered
111 Posts
being a pure Tuna fan (1975-1985) I've been resisting the Sawtooth for quite a while, but the mix of sense of tradition and awesome design keep me itching...

I read a thread on this Forum discussing what a sadly cheap movement it houses, so still hesitating but your pictures do make me drool. Just one thing though : it does look very comfortable on the wrist, but in this time of ever-bigger watches, couldn't they have made it just a tad smaller?

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
being a pure Tuna fan (1975-1985) I've been resisting the Sawtooth for quite a while, but the mix of sense of tradition and awesome design keep me itching...

I read a thread on this Forum discussing what a sadly cheap movement it houses, so still hesitating but your pictures do make me drool. Just one thing though : th it does look very comfortable on the wrist, but in this time of ever-bigger watches, couldn't they have made it just a tad smaller?
I am a huge tuna fan myself :)
But somehow i dont really consider sawtooths as tuna. Maybe because the sawtooth's shroud look so much a part of the case. Classic tunas have very distinctively seperate shrouds (different material).

About the size - yup i do believe the swatooth could have been smaller. But most dive watches could be smaller as well. May not have liked the sawtooth so much if it was smaller though :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
have a sawtooth and been wanting a tuna. Maybe too similar. Need to see a actual tuna and compare side by side

1 - 20 of 26 Posts