The Watch Site banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Will try to stick to the facts ... and opinions :). Plenty of high quality pics and reviews can be found on the web.

Tagline: Fliger/Explorer hybrid with a distinctive Japanese character

- Got the watch a week ago for from AD (Chino). Great speed and great service there, as usual.

- First impression: not as big as I was worried it will be - 40.3mm. Neighter too small to look outdated (on my large 7.75" wrist) nor too big to be "fashionable" (i.e. flashy) - understated but classy. Similar appearnce to the new Tudor Ranger and Rolex Explorer although with a more populated dial. Nowhere near Panerai look, regardless of the big numerals. Will look great as a "big/fancy" watch on a smaller/regular wrist.

- Colors:very dark matte brown (looks black 99% of the time). Hands are oxidized, not painted like most fligers. The bright white tip of the seconds hand stands out in most lightning situations (the only really bright white on the dial), but not to the point to distract - the red tip will put too many colors for my liking. Lume - surprizingly, not as bright as a diver and the glow dies in an hour (?). My SKX173 diver is much brighter, 7+ years later ... not a big deal. And Seiko - pls put a more refined logo not on GS only ...

P.S. Regarding the lume - Two weeks later the watch have to endure 2 full days of scorching desert sun at Indian Wells tennis tournament. Now I'm almost sure the lume is much brighter and glows longer, even the color of it brightened up. Maybe it needed some "activation" or some extreme light exposure after being in the dark for many months.

- Case and crystal: The uncoated domed sappy throws tonns of reflections. For an instument watch that's not optimal (it's sometimes hard to read it in the office), but that balances the fliger/field character and gives the watch a dressy appearance. The case is a larger version of the old Explorer case, but I'm concerned about the steel hardness: its easily scrathed (couple of nicks on the back already). My old SKX173 is just as bad when it comes to scratches ... The watch is a genuine tweener - heavy and thick for a dress watch, but not bulky as a diver/chrono. The crown is not too small and not as smooth as ETA/Rolex, but that's OK

- Movement: 6R15C - stripes on the rotor, impressive ... otherwise the same level of same finish as 7S26. Out of the box runs -10 -11 s/d on wrist and -4 - 5 overnight face up; bad but in spec, I'll get it regulated in a week or so. (P.S. After a few tweaks with a DYI time mashine gains about 2+ at night and drops 1-2 during the day, impressive!) Hacking lever makes a big difference - as long as it runs fast one just pops the crown once a week or so, thats it.

- Band - long enough for 8+" wrist (don't worry, it will fit) but a mixed bag: all solid links but not solid enough for the weght of this watch, very easily scratched and the buckle has just 2 holes. With my large wrist taking 1 link is too loose and taking 2 links and moving 1 hole out - too tight (oh well, I'm picky). This watch just needs a classy brown leather strap or a quality bund.

-Complications: nada. The date display is perfectly aligned with the window.

What I like: Unique (being JDM). Seiko fanatic/WIS watch. The japanese identity - the sofisticated fonts, bold numerals, big hands, curves and reflections, details. Japanese version of the outstanding Swiss IWC/Rolex design at a fraction of the price. Just what I wanted. A watch is all about style and identity nowadays.

What I don't: Bad timing, soft steel on the case, easily scratched/cheap band.

Conclusion: Great office watch for an engineer/technical expert. I keep smiling when I'm in a room with my management team: 1978 Calatrava, IWC Mark XVII, Bretling TopGun and Rolex Datejust. If you can live with the unregulated timing it will shine on any wrist.

Pictures:
1)Reflections from the lights in the office (the hands do look much brighter)
2)Side view - not a dress watch, but not a diver or a monster either
3)Top view - my wrist is about 7 3/4"

Attachments

·
Registered
50 Posts
I just purchase this watch less then a month ago, and mine is running +2 seconds a day!

I must have great luck since both my other Seiko's with the 6R15 movement, a Blumo and Shogun, are both running under +4 seconds a day too.

This Sarg is a great all around daily wearer, it looks sharp, is very comfortable and the only complaint I could make about it is the clasp, it's kind of chintzy.

·
Registered
837 Posts
I just purchase this watch less then a month ago, and mine is running +2 seconds a day!

I must have great luck since both my other Seiko's with the 6R15 movement, a Blumo and Shogun, are both running under +4 seconds a day too.
Is that due to the length and weight of the hands for the Blumo and Shogun? The torque might be different with the SARG model - dial size, hand size and lenth.

Cheers
Jef

·
Registered
6 Posts
Thanks for sharing. It's nice to see that high top down angle as well (since you have large wrists)... I was wondering what it'd look like, and now I do!

·
Registered
168 Posts
^I think this is my watch. Thanks to Paolo! :grin:

I wear it often, in various occasions and outfits. It's a great watch. Great build quality, versatile, perfect dimensions, even accuracy is good (after regulating) :grin:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts