The Watch Site banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On flea bay they have Seiko SHCo3o or SHC030 gold and stainless. The watch is stamped "sample" on the back. . Any info would be appreciated, like year of manufacture...Thanks Spad

·
Registered
6,720 Posts
well might you have any pics of it?....

·
Premium Member
2,061 Posts
Theres no serial number on the back, so impossible to put an exact date on it.
I think the SHC range ran from early 90's to the mid 90's.

Nice looking watch, apart from the cyclops

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks ivorbiggin, the guts are 7n36 6a9...I am trying to figure out the case size...

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
Sample watches are not that uncommon. They were given to the travelling sales guys - and often left with stores. There are a few for sale on the bay - mostly from one seller in the States.

They usually come without internals.

Be careful with them - by the time you have sourced a movement and sorted a stem etc, the price is often more than you can pick up with all the gubbins

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
That one looks very expensive for what is effectively a case, dial, hands and quite a bit of work to separate them and make them usable with a donor movement. :confused:

·
Special Member
7,362 Posts
A common challenge with these samples cases is finding the proper movement retaining ring. You can get a donor movement from another case and still be stuck.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I just picked up a Seiko SMA003 (5j22) sample watch from ebay, and the guy advertises the watches as having no internals. Well, the one I received had an almost complete 5j22 movement inside. The plate that holds the capacitor in place is missing, and the stem is epoxied into the case. It took a bit of work, but I dug out all the offending epoxy, the movement, and replaced them with my original SMA internals. It is great to see the old watch up and running inside a like new bracelet.

Ron

·
Craftsman
3,897 Posts
I've been gathering nos cases and sample cases for some time now for references on original case finishes so I know without a doubt what the original finishes were.

Here's the difference: Sample cases were used for display samples and often had a partial bracelet attached. They have all the exterior casing parts along with a dial, hands, day, and date wheels. The dials are held in the case with tape. The crowns are glued in but are easily removed with heat. The case back is stamped "Sample"

A nos case is used as a replacement case during service or repair. All the casing parts are there including the movement ring. The crown is just inserted in the crown tube and pulls right out. The case back is normal with all the specifics including the serial number and usually has the case back sticker in place.

In either case (pun intended) these are great for reference or for restoration.

·
Administrator
32,890 Posts
I've been gathering nos cases and sample cases for some time now for references on original case finishes so I know without a doubt what the original finishes were.

Here's the difference: Sample cases were used for display samples and often had a partial bracelet attached. They have all the exterior casing parts along with a dial, hands, day, and date wheels. The dials are held in the case with tape. The crowns are glued in but are easily removed with heat. The case back is stamped "Sample"

A nos case is used as a replacement case during service or repair. All the casing parts are there including the movement ring. The crown is just inserted in the crown tube and pulls right out. The case back is normal with all the specifics including the serial number and usually has the case back sticker in place.

In either case (pun intended) these are great for reference or for restoration.
There OEM so whats not to like about them ? :)

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
There OEM so whats not to like about them ? :)
I love the idea of the availability of an effectively 'brand new' case and bracelet to resurrect a 'tired looking' collectable watch, but not if the combined price of the donor watch and the sample watch are as much, or even more, than the cost of an original watch in very good condition.
Most of the sample watches that I would have liked to buy have been located in the USA and the high shipping/customs costs, on top of the purchase prices, have made them uneconomical purchases. :(

·
Administrator
32,890 Posts
I love the idea of the availability of an effectively 'brand new' case and bracelet to resurrect a 'tired looking' collectable watch, but not if the combined price of the donor watch and the sample watch are as much, or even more, than the cost of an original watch in very good condition.
Most of the sample watches that I would have liked to buy have been located in the USA and the high shipping/customs costs, on top of the purchase prices, have made them uneconomical purchases. :(
I know what your saying John but...................can you put a price on a unique opportunity to bring a vintage watch back to almost as new condition ?

·
Craftsman
3,897 Posts
ha ha we are in the same boat John, thats why we havent got all the sample cases but Tom has !! :)

Well, I'm not retired yet but I did go overboard on nos + sample cases. I'm just preparing for those days ahead when I'll be lucky if I can afford a nos crystal...........:eek:

·
Craftsman
3,897 Posts
There's nothing like a new case........

1 - 20 of 22 Posts