The Watch Site banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering weather the plastic pushers from the new Ripley reissues would be interchangeable with the originals? Has anyone ever tried that? The ones from the reissue can still be ordered. And I thought this could be a solution for my original 7a28 Ripley without them.

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i dont have the original ones. So i have no clue what the dimensions are. And i doubt that would be cheaper.

·
Registered
4,835 Posts

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
This topic is not about creating your own. It is about weather i could fit the new ones into the old ripley. If it would fit it would be the far easier and probably neater option.

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The new ripley pushers would cost 20 euro's a piece. Thats more than i was expecting and perhaps on the best option if i cant even be sure they would fit.

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Sir, what colour are these pushers?
I believe the reissues come with a bunch of different color pushers. For the ripley i'd need black ones.

20 euro sounds like a bargain if they fit, I know of two NOS yellow pushers selling for $100 each :(
Yes but its a big if. If i knew they'd fit i'd probobaly spend the 40 euro's to get the watch sorted. But i dont want to just throw 40 euro's away if they dont fit.

·
Registered
431 Posts
I decided to find out the answer to the question at the top of this thread. The 7Axx series of watches was the main reason I embarked on a journey 9 years ago that started with me not even being able to change a watch battery, all the way to now where I can tackle complete movement stripdown services.

The original 'Ripley' became a grail watch for me, partly due to their rarity (and I'm talking about the silver variant, not the black version that is also incorrectly referred to as a 'Ripley'), partly because Aliens is still a favourite film and one that I will continue to watch again and again without growing bored, and obviously because it is powered by the mighty 7A28 movement. So, as with most grails I finally managed to acquire one, a pristine (almost NOS) version, shortly followed (as many grails are) by another well worn version.

When the re-issues were announced in 2015 I had to have one (along with the re-issue 'Bishop') - so I am in a good position to find out whether the pushers are interchangeable.

Rather than do a big build up, I'll state up front that the answer is NO.

Here's why (original on the right).

the design is similar, but not identical.

To find out more we need to remove the pusher blocks. At this point (if you're going to do this) take great care. On the originals the block is held on by two phillips screws and threadlok. It is very easy to strip the head of this screw if you use a screwdriver of the wrong size. If you do this you are in a world of pain (all relative of course, but from a "why did I start this?, why did I think this screwdriver would fit?" perspective you'll know what I mean).

On the re-issue, SEIKO have moved to hex head screws. In principle these should be better, with less chance of stripping the head - but certaily on some of the later models (Solar Tuna for example) these screws seem to be made of a fake metal that is more akin to soft cheese. Thankfully, on this model the screws are nice(r) - but still do take care.

I used a 5/64 hex key (and it worked perfectly)

when you remove the pusher blocks, you will see how the pushers themselves work, and also how they are held in place.

The original:

and the re-issue:

both pushers are held in place by c-clips. Fiddly to remove (without a ping) but just need care.

Here's the original:

and the re-issue:

The plastic (black) parts are almost identical in external dimensions. But, the pusher rods are different lengths and diameters. This is what makes them incompatible.

The tips of the original pusher rods are prone to bending over time (through use), as the pusher is pressed and the tip activates the pusher in the case. This is because of the groove towards the tip, where the c-clip is held. This signifcantly weakens the pusher rod.

SEIKO addressed this issue by making the rod slightly thicker on the re-issue.

The original pusher rod is 1.25mm wide, the re-issue is 1.32mm wide.

Because of this difference, the re-issue pusher will not fit in the tube in the original pusher block.

The original pusher rod is 5.66mm long, the re-issue is 6.38mm long (both approximate measurements). I suspect that even if the re-issue fitted into the tube, it would be too long and thus protrude from the pusher block (looking wrong).

So, there you have it.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts