The Watch Site banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
I think Jory is onto something:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Premium Member
This guy kinda sums up how I'm feeling about Seiko just now.
$500 for Seiko5...... they're not worth it... An SKX was a real bargain at $200...still kinda worth it at $300.. at $400 no way. A 6105 clone for $1300.... Sorry I'm not seeing the value
There's so many better watches out there. Seiko has moved upmarket and left me behind. 馃槯
And I'm saddened by this.

Registered
Seiko has made it pretty clear in the past year that their senior leadership wants to take their offerings up market. Not sure that is the right marketing strategy but that is what they are doing. I too have been taken back by some of the pricing I am seeing coming out of Seiko. For $3K - $5K I might be inclined to go with one of the higher end Swiss brands. Not saying Seiko is not worth this price but it does make me pause and think about it. On the flip side, I think this will drive folks to seek out vintage Seiko pieces for better value for dollar which will ultimately drive pricing up there as well.

Registered
There's been a disappointing trend for sure, it's been going on for quite awhile but the new Seiko 5 pricing was surprising even still. The whole thing has driven me toward vintage Seiko though, which I find a bit more endearing anyway.

Premium Member
I watch this guy occasionally and like his unfiltered comments. My biggest complaint: spending a grand on a watch and having a bezel that doesn't line up properly. Or doing an amazing job on a watch finish and putting on a subpar bracelet. Its the careless quality issues and simple oversights that keep Seiko out of the same league as other "premium" brands. They lack discipline in a lot of areas.

Reactions: SennieG

Registered
Discussion Starter #7
I鈥檓 with John on the opaqueness of Seikos marketing approach over the years. But here is my theory:
1. The entry market is covered by the Seiko 5 line
2. The low-mid range ($200-$500) they want to abandon to the smart watch producers and to fit in their Orient line to take over (exception being the Turtles and a few others).
3. Mid tier over $500 to $1000 is where Seiko really wants to position themselves to start.
4. Upper mid tier over $1000 is where they are pushing their products which is a general entry point for Swiss watches and push this to $3000 - $4000 up to GS.

This is a similar strategy that the Japanese auto industry has used. I remember when Honda first arrived in the US with little brown, buzzy boxes. Now look where they are. Acura is their GS equivalent. Same for Nissan and Toyota.

Registered
Seiko has made it pretty clear in the past year that their senior leadership wants to take their offerings up market. Not sure that is the right marketing strategy but that is what they are doing. I too have been taken back by some of the pricing I am seeing coming out of Seiko. For $3K - $5K I might be inclined to go with one of the higher end Swiss brands. Not saying Seiko is not worth this price but it does make me pause and think about it. On the flip side, I think this will drive folks to seek out vintage Seiko pieces for better value for dollar which will ultimately drive pricing up there as well.
Same thing has happened with Rolex, but that seems to be a combination of pricing and scarcity of new watches. Will be interesting to see if this happens with Seiko on price alone.

Registered
What i am really suprised by is how quickly people have picked up on the Seiko moving upmarket. 3 or 4 years ago there were very few people who spent 1000+ on a Seiko. Those few spent it on a marine master or grand seiko quartz. Nowadays there seem to be a lot more people who spent 1000+ on a Seiko. And then not even a MM or GS but a "normal" Seiko. Really surprising how fast this has gone.

My biggest complaint: spending a grand on a watch and having a bezel that doesn't line up properly. Or doing an amazing job on a watch finish and putting on a subpar bracelet. Its the careless quality issues and simple oversights that keep Seiko out of the same league as other "premium" brands.
The "big" names also have CQ issues sometimes. I have seen people with misalgined Rolex bezels, or dust particles on the dial. Omega speedmaster same story where i have read there are a lot of issues with alignment as well.

Registered
I've never had problems paying xyz amount "for a Seiko", the phrase so many like to use, if it matches my expectations regarding the movement, finishing, design and overall value I go for it. I have no problems with Seiko pushing upmarket, I could say I was even looking forward to it in a way, BUT... not the way Seiko has done it so far, except for the substantial increase in price Seiko hasn't done pretty much anything else. I see more and more complaints about extremely poor finishing on some of the new Grand Seiko models together with day date alignment issues, chapter ring and bezel alignment issues with many models even more expensive ones, my own SLA is not properly aligned. The overall feel is they went to battle without ammunition and they are cutting the corners wherever they can. What I'd love to see from Seiko is to push upmarket by challenging companies like Tudor, but not just in price but movements, finishing, level of detail, BRACELETS, design and to price models in a 3k-3.5k range. Things like charging 1.5k for a repacked SRP with a 6R movement and marketing it as Willard is something I'll pass.

Registered
I have to say I agree with Jory on his comments in his video. There are few Seikos that are now good value, and their push to go above the $1000 bracket has alienated us normal folk who appreciate their good value; I for one will be going for good vintage Seikos rather than the new ones......

1 - 11 of 11 Posts