The Watch Site banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thought I'd share my first attempt at tidying up a scruffy watch.

I'd been looking for one of these for a while but although it wasn't blue like the one I wore through my teens the price was right for a practice tidy-up.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
The chapter ring was in a very poor state, so I decided to break the "patina" rules and strip it and repaint it myself. I'm sure I'll do it better the next time I do one...

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I learnt the hard way not to touch the letters when dusting the dial and took the edge off Seiko's "O" and the number of jewels has been reduced :(

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The replacement bezel from Dagaz pressed in perfectly, and I used a standard 37mm x 1mm industrial o-ring to replace the squashed original

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I found the reason for the non-advancing date wheels to be a tiny lever had fallen off it's pivot

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It took a few attempts to get everything lined up, and I'm still need to shift the chapter ring and hour hand slightly, but I'm quite pleased with the result :)

·
Registered
6,712 Posts
great work...

·
Registered
379 Posts
Wow - I think you did a fantastic job - when a piece has gone that far down the patina road I think all bets are off. Particularly admire the repaint of chapter ring. Nice wearable rally now...

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks guys :grin:

I'm wondering now whether to attempt to paint in the faded/missing white stripes on the dial's hour markers.

I think it looks nice without them but it's nagging at me all the same!

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'd buy a replacement dial. You're repainted inner bezel was super, but hand lettering is another story. Shouldn't be hard to fin on the auction sites.

·
Special Member
13,266 Posts
As Ebert would say: "Two thumbs way up!" nice job. learn by doing ....

These watches are getting more expensive by the day - enjoy!

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks for the positive messages :grin:

These watches are getting more expensive by the day - enjoy!

You're not kidding! I decided to sell this silver one on eBay recently (as I'd managed to find a blue one) and it fetched double what I was expecting :eek:hmy:.

This one is a keeper though :)

Seiko Rally 6119-8300 ze73.jpg

1 - 17 of 17 Posts