The Watch Site banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a very nice Ladies Seiko 8523-0050 that needs a new movement. A few years ago the watch movement quit working...(Had replace the battery). We took it to a recommended watch maker...when it was returned he informed us that the Seiko quartz movement was no longer available for the watch, so he replaced it with a Myota...as you can see by the pictures it doesn't fit and moves around in the case and looks terrible.

I am hoping that Seiko offered a automatic movement that would fit the 8523-0050 case with minimum modifications, maybe need a different case back, it doesn't matter if the movement has both day/date but it would be nice. Can even use the original dial even though it will say quartz on the face.

Attachments

·
Researcher
5,298 Posts
You'd be better finding an alternative quartz movement, it really isn't a practical proposition to put a mechanical in it - especially using your original dial.
The Y643 appears to be a down jeweled version of the 8523, and probably more easily available.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

thanks for the info...I can find some reasonable priced used watches with the 8523 but I'm worried about the age future reliability...the one you have mentioned as a down-jeweled...is it of reasonable quality?

·
Researcher
5,298 Posts
The problem you have is that the "watchmaker"? who put a Miyota in it, has had to modify the hands to fit - as the hole sizes are different to the Seiko movement.
So you'll very likely find that they (hands) are now unusable.
If you're very attached to this watch, I'd say that you'd be better off finding another working example from ebay and then swap the movement/dial/hands over in one go.
The 8523 is a very good movement that is serviceable and parts to repair it are available, same with the Y642.
I was in error about the down jeweling - the Y642 also has two jewels.
Whichever you choose, find a watchmaker who is capable of servicing a quartz movement and fit a new battery as soon as the seconds hands does the "two second" battery low warning, and it'll last for years.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks to all that have given ideas...the watch belonged to my late mother and I wanted to pass it on to my daughter...she is not fond of battery watches...so the idea of changing to a automatic if there was any way possible without great expense.

I was hoping Seiko also used the case for an automatic movement with maybe only a case back needing to be changed.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts