The Watch Site banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Got this one the other week as none working, and normally buy my batteries on-line but was in town earlier and decided to take a chance on a battery.
The battery that came out of it said 370A on it, so I asked the watch guy for one and he said "ah, yes the 371 will work, trust me" (he had no 370A's)

I got home, tried it and nothing. So, I have a few possibilities....the watch is broken, the battery that came out wasn't the correct battery (unlikely but possible) or the 371 battery just isn't correct.

I can't find anything to tell me definitively the correct battery for this model - On-line, I can find the manual for another H601 (not this exact one) and it states the battery is a SR920W.

Any ideas folks? I'd realy like to get it working (and yes, It did short the AC terminal and the battery, but still nothing)

Regards

Jem

Click for large view - Uploaded with Skitch

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
370 or 371 is the correct crossover with the SR920w battery. Did you take a voltmeter and make sure the new battery is indeed, new?

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Many thanks...I don't have a voltmeter, so can't test- but the battery was sealed, so most likely it was.
What are the chances of picking up a movt to fit do you think?

·
Super Moderator
2,980 Posts
Mike is correct that both cells are the same size. The difference is the chemistry inside- the 370 is a high drain cell, intended for use in watches with multiple functions that can have a higher consumption than standard quartz watches. A 371 would work, but possibly not for as long and with as good results for more frequent use of the extra functions.

Regarding silver oxide cells in general, here is a good source if curious, it also mentions high drain vs. low drain: http://data.energizer.com/PDFs/silveroxide_appman.pdf

Energizer now sells combination cells that can work for both high and low drain applications, called multi-drain. This above data sheet was printed before Energizer's multri-drain cells hit the market I believe, here is an excerpt from their website:
Multi-drain batteries utilise an innovative cell chemistry, resulting in the best characteristics of both high drainage and low drainage batteries. Now, for many different watch battery sizes only one battery is needed - whether the watch power requirements are low, for example a simple analog watch, or high in the case of digital electronic watches.

These multi-drain cells actually have both numbers stamped on the cell, so that's probably not what you received.

As to your problem with the watch not running, it is curious that you get no function whatsoever of the digital or analog portions. This would indicate an electronic problem which could be as simple as dirty contacts, or as extensive as a damaged circuit. These movements are serviceable (I just did one of my own a few weeks ago), but I'd make sure your local watchmaker is familiar with LCD watch repair in addition to standard quartz service practices.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, thanks for that comprehensive info, I appreciate the knowledge.
I didn't get a flicker or anything , so I am going to presume the mov't to be faulty in some other way.
Thanks for all the help guys
Jem

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi, this thread being a decade old, but came across it, as I have a similar watch in similar situation. Did you ever get it running? I'm looking for someone to service it. I'm in Miami, FL. Best.

·
Registered
5,915 Posts
Hi, this thread being a decade old, but came across it, as I have a similar watch in similar situation. Did you ever get it running? I'm looking for someone to service it. I'm in Miami, FL. Best.
another way is to grab a cheap dress H601 off ebay and swap in the movement. If you this check to be sure the digital display is the right color to match - they come in gold and silver.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts