The Watch Site banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,033 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well where do I start? Been looking now for sometime for an early Seiko analogue quartz to complement my every growing collection of 4004's, a QZ and a Lord Quartz. Was hoping to find an affordable 3003, but so far have found nothing suitable in the price range that I could justify. :( A week or two ago I found a listing for a 3803-7040 (in Hungary), which would normally be dial marked '2002' but this one, with a production date of August 1972 seems to pre-date the 2002 dial designation for an export watch?:confused:.
Anyway it had no bids and a starting price of £25 so in an effort to keep it in an area on my ebay page where I could keep an eye on it and see how the bidding went I placed an opening bid of £25. Well where were you all? My opening bid won the watch!!:cool:
It arrived this morning and is in VERY nice condition, totally over the moon with it.
Overall piccy showing the brand new black leather strap which has never even been fastened.

Close up of the dial and new crystal (a search of the internet found a Hungarian watch forum post showing the actual watch back in 2013 with a damaged crystal)

Detail of the watch back, showing the only real detraction from its appearance, some deep scratches on the battery hatch :(

I cant find any other information on the internet of such an early 3803, the nearest being this 3803-7010 from March 1973, which is a JDM watch.

Can anyone throw any light on the plain dial and lack of 2002 marking?

Again, where were you all, why was I able to buy this watch at such a ridiculously low price? What do you lot know that I don't? :confused:

·
Registered
793 Posts
Great find and thanks for sharing. I think the reason is simply that not many people collect these early analog quartz watches. You lucky guy!

·
Registered
2,033 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks both. A bit of research suggests that the 38** series of watches first went into production in June 1972 so this is a very early watch and this export version (it has English/French day dial) would have sold for a price in excess of $1000US :eek:hmy: The exchange rate in 1972 between Sterling and US$ was 0.4 so we are talking about a bit over £400 and to put this into perspective, in 1972, as draughtsman, I was earning around £1200 per annum so approximately four months salary to buy then!:eek:hmy:

·
Registered
2,033 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Super awesome watch and I would have tried to outbid you if I had known ;)

I've got this "project" in a drawer.

Great stuff, I see yours is a JDM watch and has the 'honeycomb' marking on the dial :cool:. I'd like to find out when the '2002' dial mark started to be used for the export watches.:confused:
Don't you just love these early Seiko Quartz analogue watches ;). Interestingly yours has the one piece case like mine, by the beginning of 1973 they seem to have replaced this with a case with a removable back, clamped in place by a screwed ring, very similar to the style that Citizen use on some of their Cosmotrons.
I did think that the 3802 calibre was a slightly earlier version of the 3803, but then realised that the 3802 was date only where as the 3803 is day/date.
I do not see me getting any earlier version of these now, didn't really expect to get this one.

·
Registered
6,712 Posts
well that is a beautiful watch...great find...Dutchsiberia that looks like a great project too..

1 - 7 of 7 Posts