The Watch Site banner

Seiko Pogue....refurb cost?

9K views 46 replies 18 participants last post by  mncz 
#1 ·
Hi all,
I have the possibility to pick up an original pogue but it needs a good "service" :grin:

based off what i have learned here it looks original

The lume is grey/black and rotten.
The dial is also a little dirty.
The sub dial second hand has come loose.
The crystal is very scratched and would need replacing or polishing out.

It does keep time and the pushers work so its not all that bad :rolleyes:

Any idea how much should I budget to get this watch fixed/refurbed?
I have never had to go down this road before.

#2 ·
Tough question to answer but I would warn that about 50% of the time when the subdial seconds hand is off it is because the chronograph center wheel is busted. Finding a new one will basically require scavenging from another watch at this point - nobody has them for sale. So there's that...

Otherwise, my overall reaction is to wait for a better one :). What you are describing is not an example I would want in my collection - would require a relume when there are plenty of examples that wouldn't, and has dial damage which basically can't be fixed. If you have a little patience and pay a little more upfront, you'll have a much nicer, all-original example :).

#3 ·
As above. It's one of those things that amazes me where people will ignore a decent one for x amount to buy one that needs hundreds spending.

Just have a look how much the crystals are. If you can find a centre wheel, maybe even £150 for that depending on type. Dial and hand relume, not sure but probably costly due to dial lume shape.

Reckon you could drop £500 getting it done by someone. Then what's the rest like? The bezel insert and rotating ring colour? Bracelet etc.

The nice ones look expensive but if you ad up the parts to make one the same plus the service and repairs you'll prob be able to buy a nice one and something else.

#4 · (Edited)
Just to clarify, I think the OP is saying the subdial hand (minute counter) is off. Not as big a disaster as a broken centre wheel and it probably just needs putting back on.
Here's my take:
Gaskets (excl crystal gasket that can probably be reused $20US.
Service $150
Crystal (good AM one from Spencer Klein) $40
Relume dial and hands $50
Total $260.
It depends if the rest of the components (bezels etc) are in good cosmetic condition and how much is being asked for the watch.
These are rough estimates based on what I've had work done for and what I've paid for parts. Your experience may vary.
Share a photo or two if you're able and we might be able to be more certain.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#6 ·
well i have worked on about a dozen of these 6139's so far...and without better pics...and more info...it would be hard to say how much it would cost....if u find a great watchmaker...anything is possible...i love to bring watches back to life...it will all depend on how pristine u want one to be and how much u want to invest....please post some pics and i am sure we can help u evaluate this one...God Bless,John

#9 ·
I agree with most of the guys, wait for something in better condition. They aren't that rare, though they are a bit costly. But restoring a rough one will cost you the same money, not to mention the waiting time.

#12 ·
I know some people are asking why dont i just drop more money and get one that is done?
I guess i have the chance to take this one at a low price and based on these quotes would sit me under 400e all in.
Plus i am in no rush to have this watch on my wrist. I would sooner take my time and know everything has been done correctly.

Thanks very much for the help, i lurk here more than i post but this is a very friendly community and i appreciate your help.

#15 ·
well i can tell u this....if u can do any of the work yourself....you be much better off...i agree that if u are not handy and have some basic skills...the 6139 is not one you should start with...but with some simple tools...you could clean it yourself and install new seals and gaskets and even change the crystal....any way u can do some of the work and learn along the way it always a win too...i would suggest if u can get it reasonable...a good complete one u should be able to find for around 100 to 150 complete if u are diligent and keep your eyes open...please post some pics once u get it and we will all try and help all we can too...this is a great community and i am sure we can help u find all the parts u need and the service help too...one thing u want to watch out for on the 6139's...the inner bezels have a fairly complicated crown stem combo that moves the inner bezel....the stems can break and the small parts can get lost when the crown falls off.....God Bless,John

#14 ·
There will be two camps really but I was just trying to say if you go to a watchmaker it won't be cheap.

I think I know the watch you're talking about as I bid on the watch (certainly sounds the same) and he said he was putting it for sale BIN but not seen it surface.

If you get it and need help there's plenty of us on here who have tinkered with 6139's. If it is that one the day change is also up the swanny.

Only reason I bid was because I'm happy to service and repair them but just trying to point out that a lot of people who can't may well be better off buying a nice one in the first place. There are ways to do things cheaper (replica crystal etc) and have a go yourself but the parts are few and far between and expensive. Also bare in mind the lower main spring port may well be worn, you can fit a jewel into the main plate to rectify this though.

Hopefully it works out well for you and let us know how you get on.

#17 ·
My take on it, from an Aussie dollar standpoint when i got mine serviced / restored / whatever. I had been given one from my watchmaker but i scratched the dial but we agreed on $350 including a service.

I bought another locally that was immaculate dial, hands ect but average bezel. So my costs were..

$100 for the new one.
$50 from John (Jringo) for a mint bezel.
$25 or $30 or so for a crystal, from Spencer Klein.
$350 for service, including gaskets, pressure test, case clean ect + cost of the original watch.
Sold the original one for $375 on ebay.

My total: $550 - $375 = $175 for a mint Pogue.

As for yours.. if you had it serviced here by my guy it'd be $150 for service including gaskets, case cleaning ect. You'd have to supply a crystal. Adrian would relume for i think it was $50? So you'd be up for probably max $250 if you didn't have to supply a chrono wheel or anything which my guy has spares of as well but adding the cost of a crystal and maybe postage here and there.

#23 ·
Well hey looks like a great start

Sent from my LGL41C using Tapatalk

#22 ·
I think it looks good but no expert on these things. Missing the sub hand and the lume is sorry. Are you thinking of reluming? I guess the date coincides with the dial, too. Inner rotating ring is very faded but the print and lume looks intact and good.

Did you decide on who to send it to because as you're in Ireland then Dave would do a great job, but also Tom I think could turn that around.

Whoever does it it would be great to see the process.

#25 ·
That's a fine start! Sourcing parts is half the fun in restoring a watch (or anything vintage for that matter), right?
Some inspiration- I picked up my Citizen 67-9119 in rather poor shape too. Two years and parts from all over the world later, it was on my wrist and 100% functional!
Before-

After-

#26 ·
Imo there are two options. Leave the watch mostly in its current condition. Just go for a replacement chrono minute hand ,a service and maybe a new crystal.

Or go all the way, relume, new bezel etc. But if you decide to go that route it would probably be better to buy a better watch to start with.

So if i were i would keep all the "character" ;) and only do the service, no major restoration.

#27 ·
Thanks for the vote of confidence guys!

the sub dial hand is in there, its just loose and flying around.

This attitude interests me...I have a pal who mostly deals in Rolex and Seiko and his opinion is to never touch the lume. No to relume. end of story.

Id have the same attitude if there was a nice patina on mine but its grey/black and grubby...i guess the question is does it clean up? If it was cleaned up what would it look like?

Sorry if i am asking stupid questions.

#28 ·
Well, if YOU don't find it attractive, I think you should relume it. Or else it won't get worn. These are not rare, really. Maybe in all-original like NOS condition, yes - but this is one of the cases where I would give it to someone who knows what he is doing and do a full relume.
These lume plots don't clean up like maybe the wells of a 6105 (mine had the black lume picked out and it looks... ok, I think). And for the hands this is not an option.

If you don't want it to glow, you can simply let the lume be replaced by white paint with binder... They look stark white when original. Just have to get the look right - I am thinking of some AM dials, where they simply painted the hour markers white... Looked horrible. :grin:

#29 ·
To re-lume or not to re-lume. That is the question. Well, it's not the question for me anymore...........

Before

After

#33 ·
All the names Guy has mentioned, Simon/SirAlan is in the middle of doing seven for me at the moment, VERY meticulous he never uses such comments as "good enough" etc he goes for the very best achievable with what he's working with, very impressed.

ps: You made a great job of the relume Tom, really nice.

#34 ·
You'll need DJ0060B01. D shaped (O cross section is fine I think) 0.6mm inner diameter and I think the J means 0.8mm width. Meaning a total outer diameter of 2.2mm? I'd have to check. ... But best search the gasket coding system here if you can work it out.... :)

They're tiny and quite tricky to install at first but you'll get the hang of it.

#38 ·
Yup then click the relevant part to find the correct code.
Just searched and they're on eBay. Or Adrian at VTA is your man unless you go got a generic on Cousins. Although just searching now there is something close but not exact...That's if my interpretation of the coding system is right for the width at 0.8mm..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.