The Watch Site banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everybody,

I just recently purchased this watch and came across this forum. I bought this for a really good price and was wondering if the dial is original(I only paid $100 for it). I've been researching about this particular dial and to me it looks fake. I am pretty new to vintage seiko watches and looking for some help.
Watch Motor vehicle Watch accessory Clock Gas
Watch Analog watch White Light Watch accessory

Thanks!

·
Craftsman
4,299 Posts
Fake being known, It's still worth a C note.

·
Registered
266 Posts
It isn't worth a c-note imo, it is all crap. This was $80 delivered to my door, how could that pos be worth more?
Disagree. Sure, yours is a lovely watch. But if this sunrise has a working 6139 movement in it then it has to be worth at least that much. I appreciate that it’s all AM and franken, but I still think it looks quite smart. I’d wear it, and be perfectly happy in the knowledge that it’s just a copy with little intrinsic historical value.

·
Registered
266 Posts
BTW, I don’t trust this OP either. I think this is yet another troll.

This watch was put together by a pro with the intention of deceiving the market and selling it for much more than it’s worth. It is possible to pick up the occasional bargain from an unknowing seller even in today‘s market, but sparkly new frankens are not the sort of pieces that get undersold.

This is of course the debut appearance of this poster on here, and exactly what he is trying to achieve isn’t clear at this stage. But if one were to attempt to transact with him on this watch then I imagine one would find out the answer to that pretty damn quickly…..

·
Registered
55 Posts
No freaking way did that go for a c note. Even if “ the cops are a block away “ hot!
Not unless the buy was 10 years ago……🙄🤨🤨

·
Special Member
9,496 Posts
Disagree. Sure, yours is a lovely watch. But if this sunrise has a working 6139 movement in it then it has to be worth at least that much. I appreciate that it’s all AM and franken, but I still think it looks quite smart. I’d wear it, and be perfectly happy in the knowledge that it’s just a copy with little intrinsic historical value.
I could never wear it because I am a collector. It would make me barf every time I looked at it.

·
Special Member
9,496 Posts
We are all collectors here.

As long as I bought it knowing what it is and paid an appropriate price, I wouldn’t feel remotely bad about wearing it. No different to me than one of those ‘mods‘ that appear all over the internet.
Not to me David, to me a FAKE COUNTERFEIT dial is a crime to produce, distribute or sell. So to me, by wearing it I am being complicit in felony crime. So, no sir, no way do I wear it.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Not to me David, to me a FAKE COUNTERFEIT dial is a crime to produce, distribute or sell. So to me, by wearing it I am being complicit in felony crime. So, no sir, no way do I wear it.
Wow, harsh! Mother Seiko does not make all of its own parts, and contracts out production of even some of its watches to outside contractors. There is also more than one Seiko entity. This is one reason there are so many Chinese fakes of some models. Virtually all major companies do this. So, are these aftermarket? After all, they were not made by the original company. What about an ebauche movement? The end user puts their own name on someone else’s product. And few of them are happy to admit that fact. They would rather you didn’t figure that out. It definitely borders on deception.
In the end, selling an aftermarket part only becomes problematic if it is declared to be something it is not, like original, or new old stock. Education and experience are the best answer to any problem.
Any buyer of any type of goods should exercise discretion. A fool and his money,etc, etc.
Much ado about nothing, IMHO.

·
Special Member
1,750 Posts
It is the same old fallacy of people who buy fakes; that it was made in the same factory and sold out the back door. Total BS! It is northing but a fake a total pos fake that has no redeeming qualities. Even "if" it has a 6139 mvmt, which I doubt, I stand by my statement. Whomever put this together is a criminal and it was not meant to sell for $100, it was meant to rip someone off for far more than $100. The watch deserves a 4 1/2 angle grinder to the case and dial. To the OP I will pay you $125 plus shipping and post pics of it being destroyed, and if it does have a genuine movement I will remove it before cutting the case and dial in half.

·
Special Member
3,781 Posts
There's no way it was $100. We all know what fake parts go for.
You couldn't get that dial/handset/inner ring for that money.
Forget pushers, crown, case, crystal, bezel, won't even mention the movement.
People that put together those fakes are in the business of making money off unsuspecting buyers, not giving them away.
I don't believe the $100 story for a minute. Try to source parts needed to build that POS for triple that, I dare you.

Rob

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Automotive tire Bicycle part Watch Motor vehicle Alloy wheel

I just had time to open the case back and here it is. I honestly don’t plan on selling it however if I do I am definitely mentioning that it is not original. However may I ask is everything aftermarket? Bezel, hands etc.

·
Registered
55 Posts
It is the same old fallacy of people who buy fakes; that it was made in the same factory and sold out the back door. Total BS! It is northing but a fake a total pos fake that has no redeeming qualities. Even "if" it has a 6139 mvmt, which I doubt, I stand by my statement. Whomever put this together is a criminal and it was not meant to sell for $100, it was meant to rip someone off for far more than $100. The watch deserves a 4 1/2 angle grinder to the case and dial. To the OP I will pay you $125 plus shipping and post pics of it being destroyed, and if it does have a genuine movement I will remove it before cutting the case and dial in half.
Eh. People who knowingly buy fake status symbol watches are practicing deception for their own vanity or some other perceived benefit. Kind of like fiberglass bodies on a vchassis. Far different from an enthusiast who of course cannot reverse the passage of time to buy what they desire for what it is actually worth. For my own part, I tend to follow my eye for beauty, and end up with a collection, rather than pursuing a collection for its own sake.
Aftermarket parts should be used for honest repair purposes, or obvious modifications.
Any other use is deceptive. This is what we should disapprove of.
I like beautiful watches. Others worship patina. Wabi sabi if you will. Beautiful decay.
There is plenty of room in the world for both views.

·
Craftsman
4,299 Posts
Don't get your panties in a bunch guys. It's only a watch............

1 - 20 of 44 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.