The Watch Site banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all,
I need to change the battery on my 5Y23-8A11 SQ.
Can you tell me if I need a special tool to open up the back or can I use a more common household tool?
Thanks.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
There are actual caseback tools for opening these watches.. First slip with a household tool will put giant scratches in the caseback and in turn lessen the value of the watch.

·
Registered
4,929 Posts
Search for "case back opening tool" It's probably best to use a Jaxa type tool with three adjustable prongs.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys. Not the answer I was hoping for unfortunately. :(
My battery just died and I'm in West Africa at the moment! Oh well, I'll see if I can get a Jaxa tool or something here locally. The new battery is in hand...

·
Registered
4,929 Posts
I was caught out with a stopped 7S26 whilst travelling abroad - I managed to buy a pair of 90 degree circlip pliers which did the job. Go to the local tool shop -you're sure to find something similar.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
I was caught out with a stopped 7S26 whilst travelling abroad - I managed to buy a pair of 90 degree circlip pliers which did the job. Go to the local tool shop -you're sure to find something similar.
good idea

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks guys!
There's an automotive shop quite nearby. I'll see about the snap ring pliers and report back. And yes, I'll be very careful... :)

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
I've had very good luck with the duct tape. as well. Although, I make a big ball of it like the rubber case opening balls.

·
Registered
4,929 Posts
snap ring pliers but very gently not to .......
" SLIP ".
Please........... be very careful and hold the watch firmly and take your time doing it
Snap ring = Circlip (like I said), and I'd be inclined to use the forged type, not the ones made from stamped plate!!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
What are these balls like folk are talking about? I've even had my proper tool slip now and then but no scratches yet luckily :)

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Duct tape ball

Well the shop didn't have a pair of pliers that would fit, so I tried the sticky duct tape ball "tool". Fantastic idea - It worked out really well! I made a ball about 2" in diameter. (50mm) The new battery is now in. Should be good for 3 more years...
Thanks for the tip! :cool:

Attachments

1 - 15 of 15 Posts