The Watch Site banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Special Member
1,818 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Before leaving Japan I had the opportunity to visit again the Seiko Museum in Tokyo.

I travelled to the museum via train, as you normally do in Japan, and when arriving at the Higashi-Mukojima station there were a couple of new signs advertising the museum.

I had not been to the museum for around a year so was interested to see what was new.

The first area was the Glamor and Precision special exhibition that focused on pieces that utilize precious materials. Credor is obviously known for their use of precious materials so many of the items shown were from this sub brand.

The exhibit area has a number of pieces with a heavy use of jewels and exotic materials.

Most of these pieces are limited editions and have price tags to reflect the craftsmanship that has gone into their construction.

First up is a Skeleton watch from 1996 that had a retail price of 700,000 yen or approximately US$5800 at the time. This watch had a movement that was only 1.98mm thick.

This gorgeous Credor Node from 2009 was assembled by Sakurada san and engraved by Terui san. It was priced at 2,500,000 yen when released, approximately US$24,500 at the time.

Next was my favourite, the GBLS998 Masterpiece Spring Drive Minute Repeater. This has an 18K gold case and a calibre 7R11 spring drive with 112 jewels. This has a list price of 33,000,000 yen (currently ~US$275,000).

The other stand out watch in this exhibit is the diamond Credor from 1982. This watch is decorated with 507 individual diamonds for a total of 28.5 carats; the crystal is made from a single 13x13x2.2mm 6.27 carat diamond. When released in 1982 the watch had a price of 220,000,000 yen or over US$1,000,000 at the time.

Also in the exhibit were some of the concept drawings from Credor designers.

Next to the Glamor and Precision special exhibition was a display showing some Seiko women's models.

This included some of the early models and examples of the Seiko white models that popularized the silver coloured look when almost all ladies watches were gold coloured at that point.

The other new display had a series of different chronograph models.

The first model was as you would expect was the 5719 Crown Chronograph one button chrono. Next to this is the much rarer 5718 and both are from 1964. The description for the 5718 states that this model was sold at the Tokyo Olympic Village. When I asked my guide about this he stated that this was the only location that this model was sold at.

There were also a number of other models with chronograph functions from other the years.

When I asked about upcoming special exhibits I was told it is possible that later this year there will be a special exhibit focusing on divers but this has not been decided yet. I let them know that this sounded like a great idea and an excellent way to celebrate the 50th Anniversary of Seiko divers. Hopefully this exhibit will occur and I will have an opportunity to visit this.

The other new thing that was available at the museum when I visited was an iPad application that utilized iBeacons distributed around the exhibits.

The museum has a number of iPads that can be loaned to visitors so as they travel around the facility they can get information on the various exhibits.

The application will show details on the item as well as some additional photos or a video.

The application has both English and Japanese language versions and they do plan to expand the languages available and the exhibits presented.

The museum released the iPad application at about the same time as the virtual tour that is available on the Museum website.

http://museum.seiko.co.jp/virtual/en/

These types of additions will hopefully increase the number of visitors to the museum and make it more interactive for customers. Last year there were around 10,000 visitors to the museum. If you every have the chance to visit Tokyo then make sure you add a visit to the museum to your trip.

P.S. Sorry for the quality of the photos but I only had my small camera with me and the relatively low light levels and mixed lighting made shots quite difficult.

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
Thanks for the pics/writeup. Was planning to go in April but delayed for a year.

Oh, and that 5718! One of my grails. Always good to see one anytime/anywhere.

·
Registered
507 Posts
HI,

Great post. It's interesting to see how much has changed since I was there almost a year ago. Did you have to have a guide with you, or were you allowed to get yourself around the museum?

·
Special Member
1,818 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Did you have to have a guide with you, or were you allowed to get yourself around the museum?
When I visited I was guided by Kumagai san a Senior Manager at the Museum.

During each of my visits Kumagai san has accompanied me and it is always nice to catch up. During this visit we discussed some of his career at Seiko when he was based in Europe and his work with market research and product design. I was wearing my new SDGZ013 at the time and he was quite impressed with the model.

Fantastic remembrance for me, summer 2014. Some watches are impossibile to find. Unforgettable.
Glad that you enjoyed the visit, it is always nice to see other forum members who have made the trip.

For members that are not familiar with it, the clock face Itau is standing in-front of is the one from the WAKO store clock tower in Ginza.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts