The Watch Site banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Seiko Museum located in Higashi Mukojima, Sumida-ku, Tokyo is closing down and will be moving to a new location in Ginza. The museum had it’s last day open to the public on the 29th of December and is now officially closed at the Sumida location.

The Museum will be relocated to a new position in the Ginza area of Tokyo. This will be a much more convenient location for visitors as Ginza is a central area that is easily accessed by public transport and is a major tourist destination being a high end shopping district. Ginza is known for the Seiko group owned Wako department store that is the symbolic heart of the district. Seiko also has the Seiko Dream Square, Prospex Boutique and Grand Seiko Boutiques located in Ginza, along with the corporate headquarters of Seiko Watch Corporation. The exact location for the new museum has not yet been announced.

The new museum will reopen in June 2020 but the exact date for this has not been announced yet. When further information becomes available I will be sure to post about it.
The official museum website can be found here - The Seiko Museum (English)

·
Registered
526 Posts
Thank you so much, Anthony for letting us know. Yes, the museum would definitely see increased traffic with its relocation to Ginza...that's great news for us!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Thanks for sharing. The Sumida location was great, it was quiet and away from the crowds. The walk from the station was nice and keeps you in anticipation (was my first visit in April last year). Plus there were other sights around the area made it a nice day out.

I’m sure the move to Ginza is strategic, moving in to town and getting all that footfall traffic, not to mention the synergy with the rest of the other Seiko establishments.

Can’t wait to visit it next year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for sharing. The Sumida location was great, it was quiet and away from the crowds. The walk from the station was nice and keeps you in anticipation (was my first visit in April last year). Plus there were other sights around the area made it a nice day out.

I’m sure the move to Ginza is strategic, moving in to town and getting all that footfall traffic, not to mention the synergy with the rest of the other Seiko establishments.
I do agree that the Sumida location was nice and quite and away from the crowds. I think the move to Ginza will certainly increase the amount of foot traffic they get.

My only concern is the the move to Ginza may limit the floor space available to the museum due to the extremely expensive real estate. I am hoping that the new location will be slightly off the main roads with a larger building. Having more floor space compared to the Sumida location and not less would be desirable. This would make the museum more of a destination and attract customers that are actually interested instead of just random tourist groups. The Seiko stores such as the GS Boutique, Dream Square, Prospex Boutique and Wako could all give out direction cards to visitors who may be interested.

Whatever happens I am sure it will increase the profile of the museum and draw more customers into the history of the brand.

Thanks for that information, I didn't even know that there was a Seiko museum.
You can see a general overview of the museum with shots of the exhibits here - Seiko Museum - Tokyo

Hopefully all of these exhibits and more will be replicated at the new location.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Great news, but you scared me for a minute there. Thread title makes it sound like the museum is closing outright rather than just moving to a new location

·
Registered
600 Posts
Anthony, as you already know from our private correspondence I'm devastated to hear this, and especially the definitive post-June reopening date. My wife has kindly agreed to take me to Japan for my birthday this year in April, and that agreement came with the statement "you're allotted one and only one day at the Seiko museum." We've got our flights and all hotels paid for, but I think it's fair to say that we literally would not be going to Japan had we known two months ago :(.

Oh well. We'll have fun anyways. And Anthony, I'd welcome other Seiko-related suggestions that I can hopefully integrate on the trip...

·
Registered
4 Posts
I share your pain. Due in Tokyo late May and new museum june/July 2020 opening!

Sent from my ANE-LX2J using Tapatalk

·
Registered
865 Posts
I visited the museum last September. Smaller than I expected and not busy at all , which was fine by me. A good hour covered everything of interest to me. I'm sure Seiko would have plenty more of suitable stock to fill bigger premises if that's the case with the move to Ginza.

Nice to see out of the display of watches I have 4 of them in my collection.
I had my 62MAS on the wrist for the visit, very suitable I thought.
Yes the museum was a bit out of the way and a pleasant 15min walk from the nearest station. Wouldn't be pleasant however if it were to rain.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Whoa!

During our recent Japan trip, my fiancé planned a surprise visit to The Seiko Museum last 27-Dec, a mere 2 days before they officially closed.

A Lord Marvel 36000, with the 5740 caliber, was on display as "Japan's First 10 vibration per second". I have a similar all-gold model.

Jan Raymund

·
Registered
150 Posts
Bellmatic, O634 digital and a Second set railway pocketwatch.
Nice - I wish I had a 62MAS, 0634, and a Second-setting railway pocket-watch! I do have a different Bell-Matic, but I would like the model that they had on display in the museum, too.

A Lord Marvel 36000, with the 5740 caliber, was on display as "Japan's First 10 vibration per second". I have a similar all-gold model.
Nice to see - I have a Lord Marvel 36000 too.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts