The Watch Site banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
64 Posts
You could try to find it under the reference number 8305-1000 (M77 Sealion) of 8305-1010, that's the same watch, only no Sealion on it, and reads Seikomatic-R. I got both of them...
But I would not want a blue dial, because it would affect the luminous effect on these watches (hidden lumious effects!)

· Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You could try to find it under the reference number 8305-1000 (M77 Sealion) of 8305-1010, that's the same watch, only no Sealion on it, and reads Seikomatic-R. I got both of them...
But I would not want a blue dial, because it would affect the luminous effect on these watches (hidden lumious effects!)
Thank you very much for the information. It's the lume beneath the hands and on the ends of the hour barons that really attracted me to the watch, but I also understand that the 30J movement is a work of art in its own right.

Thanks again, I appreciate it

· Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well done you; that really is beautiful! It's pretty much what I was thinking of having done when I find one, with BGW9 on the hands and C3 on the indices.

That really is a lovely piece - please let me know if you plan to sell it?

· Registered
428 Posts
Really lovely work!
Thank you. I had seen examples of this dial in my online browsings over the years, and liked the style of the bullet-shaped indices. It wasn't until recently that I was tipped off to the lume under the hands and in the ends of the indices that reflect off of the polished rehaut. That's when I started searching in earnest for a decent example. I decided to hold out for the low-key grey dial, as I've already got another, more ordinary Seikomatic-R with a silver dial.

When I did the lume, I chose the brighter formula for underneath the hands, as it would be less visible, and the slightly less bright formula for the indices, so that they don't overpower the hands. Your plan for BGW9 sounds cool too. I believe it's available in standard and 'grade A,' which is a bit brighter. When I charge mine up before bed, I can still read the time six or seven hours later, when my eyes are fully adapted to the dark.

I'm still developing my skills, so haven't attempted a much needed overhaul on this movement. I've got an earlier Seiko Slimdate that has a similar movement that I intend to use for practice first. It is a really nice movement, to be sure. Martin has a fantastic write up here if you haven't already seen it:

If I ever decide to move it on, I'll try to track you down to give you first offer.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts