The Watch Site banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

My deceased Father’s Seiko M354-5010 was recently discovered after years out of mind, sitting lonely in a drawer, and I would like to try and return it to working order.

I'm 'my father's age' now and have a new appreciation of his Seiko. I remember as a young boy how the watch was huge. My little wrist swimming in it and I was fascinated by how the calendar went all the way into the 'space-age future' of 2009... Now it just fits my wrist as it should. My father bought it new back in ’78 and would mean a lot to me bringing it back to life as my daily watch.

Seiko Service Centre cannot assist in any way as it’s a circa 1978 watch and no parts. I'm sure that's the normal response.

I can see that a few bits and pieces like “LSI Block” and Quartz can be sourced, but I have no idea how to go about servicing.

I've scoured all through your Forums here and learned a bit from scratch. Seen the original Seiko Parts List and that it was the James Bond Moonraker watch; or at least close with the Seiko M354-5019 being the actual Moonraker model...

I replaced the battery, and the light works! But sadly no joy on the LCD display coming back to life after pushing buttons. Is there a special button command by chance I am not giving, or it should just come to life with new battery if working?

Doesn’t look like there is any battery leakage. I can’t see far into the inner workings though through the battery hatch space though.

I am an Australian living in Kuala Lumpur but could send the watch anywhere really for it to be restored by an expert.

Any thoughts you may have would be a great help. Hoping it's not just destined to be a paperweight on my desk.

Thanks and regards

Regards,

Clayton

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you so much, Seikojohn.

I really appreciate your taking the time to head me in the right direction.

Thank you.

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
Have a chat with “seiko kid” (Rob) he’s very good with digitals.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Seems I need to post more as a newbie here until the system will let me reach out to anyone on PM.

Seiko Kid if you see this public post and can spare some thoughts I would appreciate it!

I'm grasping at straws to bring my Dad's Seiko Memory-Bank Calendar digital watch to life.

The light works but nothing on the LCD. Doesn't seem to be any battery leakage but I am only looking through the hatch.

Hopefully some good news over the last day I have been able to find a NOS LED panel for the watch, so if that's the problem maybe I am back in the game...

Is there a slim chance there is some combination of buttons I am supposed to press after a full battery change? Something about an AC reset maybe?

Who's best to service these things? I am an Aussie living in Kuala Lumpur, but can send it anywhere really...

Any thoughts you may have would be really appreciated. Finding this old watch has brought back a lot of memories and would be wonderful to bring it back to life if possible.

Cheers,

Clay

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks Hasnon. I appreciate your chiming in.

Adrian has kindly engaged and may be just what I need. Hopefully on track to bring Dad's watch back to life after all this time.

I am wearing it around already and love it, but feel like an idiot looking for the time over and over, only to see a lifeless screen looking back at me.

Cheers.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Excellent news mate. Please do show us some pictures once it's all fixed up!

I'm in a digital phase at the moment, a lot of iconic digis from the 80's that are just so awesome.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I put in another new battery and this time got both the light and some glimpses of LCD display. Broken numbers, and seconds ticking along at one point, and all very dim.

Then "1970" came up in the corner pretty strong. I was born in 1970 so I reckon that's my Dad sending me a sign! Probably that's just the default start year, but a nice coincidence anyway.

With some action going on with the display, I guess it's not hopeless and will be serviceable by someone who knows what to do! Fingers crossed.

Clay

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi, guys. I've just bought a 354-5010, but unfortunately it's not working. Anyone has an idea about how I could open the back of the case? I don't want to damage it as it's nearly in NOS condotion. I planing to buy an other watch for donor and change the "movement", or if I could open it maybe we could get closer to find out whats wrong with it. I noticed some battery leak, and some marks quartz bleeding on sceen ... Thank you in advance for your help.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts