The Watch Site banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
L

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Authored by martback

Did you know what the little logos on Seiko dials meant? If you look closely on Seiko dials you often see a little logo. I will explain the most common ones on vintage Seikos but there might very well be more of these. Sorry for the small pictures but these things are small in real life.

Let us start with the easy ones:

Daini - The double-triangle/Lightning-Bolt means Daini - today's SII (Seiko instruments).

Suwa - The Swirl means Suwa - today's Seiko Epson.

Extra Dial (ED) - The four-pointed star is Extra Dial (ED). As there are also watches without any logo, I assume this is at least one step up from standard.

Applique Dial (AD) - The 3-pointed star inside a triangle stands for Applique Dial (AD). This is usually on high end Seikomatics and similar where the Seikomatic logo is applique rather than printed on the dial. (Pic from the Seikomatic Archives).

Special Dial (SD) - The eight-pointed star is Special Dial (SD). This is also on high end watches but with printed dials rather than applique. (Also Seikomatic Archives)

Elnix - The snake with the arrow-head.

Seikomatic - A spinning top / ballet-dancer..

This is the fancier applique version of the Seikomatic logo:

and here is the simpler, red colored version used in ladies watches:

Advan - A stylized sun.

Gyro Marvel - A circle and arrows or another rendering of a stylized spining top.

Finally, there are a few modern ones (I will skip GS, KS and SQ as you know what they mean already)

The W with small roof is single crystal quartz:

The VVV with double roof is double crystal quartz. (should be turned 90 degrees):

Auto Quartz:

Electronic:

Kinetic:

This logo was used on some 4Sxx watches:

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
I don't think it came out of the factory with a bumblebee. Any special logos are usually on the dial, not the caseback.

Rob

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi ,really need any help from anyone here....just got a seiko SSC009P3 cal V172 from Qoo10,the pic. on the displayed item face reads vertically "SEIKO Solar Chronograph" but when i received the watch,it reads "SEIKO and next the prospex X logo Solar??does anybody know if this is a genuine seiko?

·
Registered
4,937 Posts
They upgraded the dial to include this in the Prospex Lineup. No worries.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi there Mr Jones,did u just replied to my inquiries?got a reply from the seller and they said the manufacturer had made changes with the new batches for this model,but i search online for this model with the new prospex X logo but there was none...would appreciate if you could provide a link on this....regards.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts